Battery specs?

cthor

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of sourcing out a battery for my cafe build and was wondering if you guys know any of the stock specs for the following?

How fast out charging system charges the battery?
What is the minimum CCA requirement for both the electric start and kickstart?
What is the minimum cranking amp for both when the motor is already hot?

The bike is a 78 xs400.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

For a kicker only, I've heard of people using as small as 1.3ah. As for your other questions, I don't have an answer other than to say that the stock sized battery is about the minimum for reliable starting- you may be able to find one physically smaller, but I think you will want the same capacity.

Been researching....I think the stock CCA battery is 160amps so maybe anything over that might do. But the reason I'm wondering is I'm trying to test out this out. I know that a small 6ah battery is not enough to electrically start my motor cold bc the CCA is way too low. The amount of juice it gives out at that moment will not be enough to start the bike. It might have enough juice to give it a few turns but will die out quickly. But what about when the bike is warm already? Bikes start a lot easier when already warm. What if I used the kickstart just for coldstarts and leave the electric start on just in case I die in traffic and would like to get up and go quick. I'm trying to see if that is possible. Thats the only reason I would really want the electric start. Has anyone ever tried starting their bike warm with a 6ah battery?

I'm also looking for small battery. Have anyone tried using something like 4ah lifepo4 for electric start with warm engine and kick with cold engine.
Does it matter how large battery I have, when i use only kickstart and can i leave starter in, but use only kick?
And have anyone experience with Ultrabatts?

Alot of questions, but maybe someone can answer :)

Back