Best motorcycle insurance?

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a seca 400 82. I had geico insurance full coverage for about 150$ for 6 months. I recently had a very small accident where i bent the front forks a little. Geico refused to fix it. The mechanic quoted 400$ for repair. So they tootled it out for 1100$. I then bought the bike back from them for 140$ and repaired the bike my self for 200$. But I hit my apartment and did a lot of damage. Geico covered it but only after 4 months of chain yanking and almost having to go to court to sue them. Overall I'd give them an F- i was treated poorly and was for the most part ignored.

So Anybody know any decent insurance companies? I live in Idaho, USA.

I've had Geico for about 20 years,had an accident about 10 years ago in a van,not on a bike,or I'd be writing this from the beyond. The other insurance co. didn't want to pay[not my fault,rear-ended,stopped,70 mph],and Geico paid out maximum amount[$29,000]next day after claim sent. This made the other co. pay before court proceedings commenced.I got permanent back damage and crippled up from it,so now only ride a bit before I go home to rest. Too bad,so sad. But every person has different experiences with companies,some good,some bad. lha

I have not been in any accidents, so I can't claim how mine pays out. I used Progressive for my first bike (CMX250), but I use Foremost (Michigan only) for my XS since they gave me more comprehensive coverage for the same rate. Both go for ~$300 for the full year where I live, which is apparently "cheap" for Michigan.

I'm just outside of Toronto, ON, with complete coverage, with M license for almost 30 yrs, Female, with an 82 Maxim 400, I pay 917.00 per year.
Holy crap, another insurance envelope next day, they dropped it to 867.00 per year. yeah me.

Last edited:
Just got my renewal bill from Progressive. $75 per year- plus a $6 fee if I don't pay it all at once. On the other hand I'm over 40 with no at-fault accidents, ever, so I suppose I'm not much of a risk by their statistical models- or maybe it's got to do with northern Ohio's 9 month winter season....

Just got my renewal bill from Progressive. $75 per year- plus a $6 fee if I don't pay it all at once. On the other hand I'm over 40 with no at-fault accidents, ever, so I suppose I'm not much of a risk by their statistical models- or maybe it's got to do with northern Ohio's 9 month winter season....

Must be. I live about an hour south of you and also have progressive. I'm 25, one "blemish" on record (not related to the bike) and I pay $156 per year which is still almost nothing. In fact With my multi-policy discount, I save $180 per year. So I actually saved money by adding a motorcycle onto my policy. I still have my temps and I haven't taken the class yet which comes with yet another discount so I will actually save even more when all is said and done. Isn't that kinda wild? Pays to ride:bike:

I really like progressive. They have really good long-term customer rewards and in my one claim with my car, it was handled within 3 days.

I'm over 40, married, perfectly clean record, living out in the country, riding 2+ years but without a rider training course (they cost almost a years worth of insurance here!), and have an M2 license (one step below a full motorcycle license, which I'm almost eligible for). Just got my renewal in and I'm paying just under $800/yr. for $200,000 liability and no coverage on the bike what so ever. I can't even get coverage on the bike, not that I'd pay for it!

Old guy :umm: with "M" for 41 yrs.
Insurance company didn't ask if I had ridden each and every year for all that time - just how long I had had the "M". So, my 36 year hiatus didn't come into play.
I have 3rd party liability (1 or 2 million), but only that. It costs $330/yr. @Economical.

I'm 24 with my M2 (Like Dave said, one step below fully licensed in the Ontario graduated license system). Did my rider training course a few years ago and have had my license for 3 years. $1 million in liability but no collision (pretty sure I can't because it's over 30). I think I have $50,000 in specified perils (in case I get hurt) and am paying just a hair over $800/year. For those in the area, look into Desjardin's daughter company The Personal.

Your guys liability is off the charts there in Canada. I think mine is only like $100k. The would definitely explain why you premium is $800:yikes: I wouldn't even own a bike for that kind of money.

It's unfortunate, you're right. Ontario insurance is actually horrid. Hell, my bike was $750, so I'm paying more than the cost of it every year. However, I'd really rather have that amount of liability and never need it than to need it and not have it. Come to think of it, isn't that how insurance works? Another thought, how much damage can you REALLY do with a 400 lb piece of steel, aluminium, and wire?
Should be noted that a driver under 25 in Ontario is at "higher risk" and is thus charged a higher premium. I'd be paying significantly more owning a car at my age, and I'm saving gas money owning a bike.

Nah, it gets put in storage when the snow hits. I go to college and I get a free bus pass with my tuition. I can't complain when the bus stop is right outside my door.

I'm just 1 hr west. of Toronto, ON, with complete coverage, with M license for almost 30 yrs, Female, with an 82 Maxim 400, I pay 917.00 per year.
Holy crap, another insurance envelope next day, they dropped it to 867.00 per year. yeah me. I'm with Aviva, and no bike accidents. I did go take a motorcycle course this year, cause it was so long since I've ridden, 27 yrs. Glad I did it, but didn't do squat for my insurance, as I've had my license a while. I did get collision on it, though many advised me against it. Aviva actually took almost 1 week to find me a quote, as my bike is old, vin is only 9 digits, and they couldn't find it in any system. I myself only paid 800 for my bike, but have another 300 into it. so, technically, I pay more for insurance for 1 yr than the cost of the bike. I'm having a hard time getting parts, and will definitely spend more money on the next one, but much newer to avoid these hassles. P.s. I was quoted only 639.00 if I had bought a 2006 Virago 250. But I figured the 400 would be fun.

I'm just 1 hr west. of Toronto, ON, with complete coverage, with M license for almost 30 yrs, Female, with an 82 Maxim 400, I pay 917.00 per year.
Holy crap, another insurance envelope next day, they dropped it to 867.00 per year. yeah me. I'm with Aviva, and no bike accidents. I did go take a motorcycle course this year, cause it was so long since I've ridden, 27 yrs. Glad I did it, but didn't do squat for my insurance, as I've had my license a while. I did get collision on it, though many advised me against it. Aviva actually took almost 1 week to find me a quote, as my bike is old, vin is only 9 digits, and they couldn't find it in any system. I myself only paid 800 for my bike, but have another 300 into it. so, technically, I pay more for insurance for 1 yr than the cost of the bike. I'm having a hard time getting parts, and will definitely spend more money on the next one, but much newer to avoid these hassles. P.s. I was quoted only 639.00 if I had bought a 2006 Virago 250. But I figured the 400 would be fun.

WOW! I'm 2 hours east of TO and pay under $400 a year. I've had my M for 24 years, took the training course in the first year. My insurance is the bare minimum, if the bike gets written off, so be it. You'd be lucky to get $1200 back if you wrote it off. I am with State Farm.

I've got State Farm, and my premium is $11 per year on the XS-400, with 100K person / 300K per accident. Yes, $11. I just checked. What the hell is wrong with your guys, or mine?
I've got a second bike, an '83 RX50, and its $5/year.
Liability of course, because really, why would it be worth dealing with the insurance company on these bikes?

I'm 33, married, homeowner, m/c endorsement since ~'09 I think, and my horrible list of of 7+ speeding tickets are probably forgotten since the last was 9 or 10 years ago.
I had Progressive before for around $120/year for both bikes (and they have free m/c roadside assistance, which is nice), but switching to State Farm saved me around $114/year.

I have progressive at $86/yr liability only of course, and no one mentioned roadside assistance! It will be very helpful next time I accidentally flip the kill switch!

Got to look into State Farm!

Back