Bike dies after idling at 1300RPm for few minutes!!!!

vishal

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have 1979 Xs400. I have been struggling with getting it started and idling. Today I replaced the main jets which were 132 with 145 the bike started after some staring fluid and then just died. Here is the link to youtube video

https://youtube/15hVmwDLv44.

Please let me know what you think the bike idles around 1300 rpm and can rev it up to 8500RPM but it dies :wtf:. Took it for small ride around the block and then gave up.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!

What type of pods do you have? A lot of them make tuning very hard. If the plugs are wet it is too rich. Try 3 turns out on the mix screws and adjust the idle screw for idle ( the big one in the middle)

Hey XSchris,

I have attached the pictures of the filters and the spark plugs. BTW on spark plug had black residue and other was like new.

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_183709.jpg
    IMG_20150517_183709.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20150517_183738.jpg
    IMG_20150517_183738.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20150517_183746.jpg
    IMG_20150517_183746.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 205
Those are the worst filters to use. If you want to use them you need to put them on the factory H-pipe. Otherwise get a set of uni filters. Ebay has them for under $40. Get the black single stage style for 4-stroke engines.

I have the UNI filter the exact same ones as you mentioned. I will mount those on and see what the response is. Will keep you posted!!!

I have the UNI filter the exact same ones as you mentioned. I will mount those on and see what the response is. Will keep you posted!!!

Are you gonna plug them on the H-pipe or directly on the carbs ?
What is the parts number if i want to plug the on my H pipe ?

Make sure to oil them as it is required for proper filtering.

definitely get the unipods and ditch those emgos.They are absolute junk and I wish the company would be shut down for selling the junk they sell.As you can tell I despise this company.Sorry for my rant.Looking forward to your response.BTW my bike was running so crappy with those emgos I put the stock air boxes back on,.

Those type filters work fine on the round slide type that the throttle cable hooks to the slide, they just don't work well on CV type carbs. The round slides have no vacuum diaphram to lift the slide so excessive turbulance don't effect the carbs as much.
Leo

Back