Bike starts with starter but not kicking it?

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My bike never wants to start when Im using the kick start but will start with the electric starting unit. What could be the cause of this? Is my timing not spot on enough?

Are you getting a cylinder up on a compression stroke before kicking it over? Are you twisting the throttle? Are you kicking like a little girl? :laugh:

Dave

Press slight down on the kicker arm. press down till you feel serious resistances. release the kicker arm. Then (choke should be out if your just starting it for the first time today.) Twist the throttle a little bit, (don't flood it) Dont worry about the throttle when you put your weight on to the kicker arm. Try again if it doesnt start. As long as no one did maintenance on your kick start stuff, you should have no problems.
Good luck
Tobie

Well, I'm not certain as my Maxim doesn't have a kick start. But as I understand it, one slowly depresses the lever until noticeable resistance is felt, then return the lever to the top and have at it.

Dave

You know what I forgot, Put in neutral, and don't grip the clutch. two other importants things, what was I thinking! :)

Back