Brake lever - will this fit?

Ezetman

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike: 1977 XS400D
Item: Brake Lever XS650 by Cognito Moto
Can anyone help me guess if this item from Cognito Moto will fit into my XS400 brake "spline?". (the protruding slotted turning thing that actuates the brake). see #5

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 3.17.11 PM.png

Item is pretty pricy for what it is but trying make that is way out of my imagination and I don't see myself being able to bend the original lever that flat to fit it behind the bracket I made for the rearset.

Here is an album of my rearset bracket and "#5 part" in question for some context.

Has anyone else tried this? Any other ideas?

I'll be ordering the folding footpegs from them and gonna have to heat and bend the kickstart to clear it either way but trying to make sure I get the geometry right and save on shipping all at once.

THanks

I went ahead and ordered it. If it doesn't fit because of # of teeth or diameter I'll either try to get a spline off a 650 or look into an aftermarket master cylinder like you suggest. The thread you linked is great btw thanks!

I've got disc brakes. Those are drum so that makes sense on that setup.

Ok question if disc brakes why are you asking about that bracket? You don't use that with a disc.

I have a disc brake rear on a 78 I think and also drums on a few 80s models. Both are totally different.

Not sure I get your point. The brake lever actuates the master cylinder as its pressed down using a small push rod that simultaneously goes up.
Never worked on drum brakes so I am not sure how those operate but on my disc brakes I do use that spline I showed as #5 on the blowout drawing.
All I am trying to do is replace the stock bowed shaped brake lever for a short flat one that will fit with my designed rearset and bracket.

Not sure I get your point. The brake lever actuates the master cylinder as its pressed down using a small push rod that simultaneously goes up.
Never worked on drum brakes so I am not sure how those operate but on my disc brakes I do use that spline I showed as #5 on the blowout drawing.
All I am trying to do is replace the stock bowed shaped brake lever for a short flat one that will fit with my designed rearset and bracket.

Ok I understand what your doing now. I didn't see the #5 just clicked on the cognito link and that one looks like the one on the rear wheel itself.

Hopefully it fits over the splines on the brake actuator as I think its bigger than the rear wheel splines.

IT FIT!

It's just a little "wider" as in, it sticks out a bit even though it slides all the way in. Pretty stoked about it.
Just gotta drill a bigger hole on my brackets to fit the rearset and setup the linkage and...hopefully that'd be a job done.

Looks great!
I've been thinking about rearsets lately, but that'll have to be after everything is tuned up.

Did you make the bracket or purchase it ? I sort of like the idea of rearsets also and am now thinking out loud.........

Holy... I haven't been here in a while. I made those. I'll try to upload some photos of the finished product. Either way I'm waiting for summer to break it down again and fix a few things that are on my list along with these because they got a bit of flex I'm not too happy with.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Making some forward controls and knowing the 650 bracket fits our bikes is awesome! I also have disc brakes front and back.

Back