Brake master cylinder compatible replacements

Rene

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I own a 1981 XS400SE and would like to change the brake master cylinder. I am new to working on motorcycles and not really sure how to tackle this task. Has anyone already done this? If so what compatible replacements have you used? What should I watch out for and what should I know when choosing a replacement? I would also like to change out the old crusty brake line for a braided one, is it as simple as ordering a " make it yourself " brake line kit, or do I need some specific dimensions like the bolt size?

Thank you guys very much.

When I did it years ago I got a generic Chinese-made master cylinder.

There are lots of compatible ones, you can find one from a newer Yamaha if you want. You can even get a more expensive one, like Magura.

Brake line is simple. There is only one line, and it's a standard banjo fitting. You could find a pre-made one by length, or you could get a make-your-own kit, either will work.

I went with one from magura on a build and loved it..........it may cost more than a chinese knock off but.......... its the brakes.............. I run braided lines for brakess way better than the rubber ones.............

Back