1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Brake master cylinder compatible replacements

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rene, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Rene

Rene XS400 Member

Romania
    Hello guys,

I own a 1981 XS400SE and would like to change the brake master cylinder. I am new to working on motorcycles and not really sure how to tackle this task. Has anyone already done this? If so what compatible replacements have you used? What should I watch out for and what should I know when choosing a replacement? I would also like to change out the old crusty brake line for a braided one, is it as simple as ordering a " make it yourself " brake line kit, or do I need some specific dimensions like the bolt size?

Thank you guys very much.

2. JPaganel

JPaganel XS400 Addict

When I did it years ago I got a generic Chinese-made master cylinder.

There are lots of compatible ones, you can find one from a newer Yamaha if you want. You can even get a more expensive one, like Magura.

Brake line is simple. There is only one line, and it's a standard banjo fitting. You could find a pre-made one by length, or you could get a make-your-own kit, either will work.

spectra likes this.
  3. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

I went with one from magura on a build and loved it..........it may cost more than a chinese knock off but.......... its the brakes.............. I run braided lines for brakess way better than the rubber ones.............

4. Rene

Rene XS400 Member

Romania
    Thanks a lot!