Brand new battery dies if I dont ride every day??

butterbeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Brand new battery dies if I don't ride every day?? I can usually get it going after physically kickstarting it. Running the bike will charge the battery for a while it works for a couple of days. Then if I leave it for a while and the battery will have no charge. What should I replace first?? the ignition coil?? the stator?? the condensor??

Already got a new battery. New cables to battery.

any suggestions??

thanks

Assuming it's not the battery there may be a current draw when the bike is off.
Do you have a dc ameter? Check for any current draw from the battery with the ignition off.

How low does the battery drain?
Does it hold a charge if left off the bike after a full charge?
Is there any chance the first drain was a freak accident? Bike left with the ignition on? It may have damaged the battery so that it won't hold a charge anymore.

Further update. The ride home. AAArrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh.........

Wont start using key. The ignition light flicks on then a moment later no light. Check battery and tiniest bit loose on one cable. I tighten nut on battery. I tried to bump start, but no good. Then kicked it over using kickstart. Rides for a while then died on third set of lights. Key won't start bike. Kick start has no compression at all, no resistance at all. Next set of lights bike dies as dropping down in speed and gears. Key doesnt work. 3 kicks no resistance then fourth kick a running bike. Next set of lights dies and the same routine. 3 kicks absolutely no resistance. Then the bikes starts but backfires and splutters, never getting our 40kms/hour. Dies all up 5 times. Lucky I live close to the city. Had to push off the road twice in peak hour traffic..... lots of fun!!

Any ideas or suggestions??

Your bike has multiple issues. Charging system and engine are my guesses. Start with the engine as it is difficult to test the charging system if the bike isn't running. Check valve clearances then compression, clutch adjustment, carb sync, etc. Make sure to be charging the battery while doing all that! You will need the battery charged to have the bike running.

Once the stalling and hard starting are resolved, move onto troubleshooting the charging system. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the rectifier/regulator are faulty, but poor connections, broken wiring, faulty ignition switch are all possibilities.

After a week of checking headlights, battery connections, general wiring etc all seems to be better. Reset the battery terminals. Hard soldered the bolt that attaches the terminals to the battery. Which had worked loose and the slight amount of gap between terminal and bolt seems to have caused recharging headaches. Cleaned the fuel line to be sure too.

Also took of the ignition switch and cleaned all the points of contact.

I guess one solution is to ride everyday.

Replaced the globe in the headlight. I noticed the headlight lacks any real light power ie just not bright enough. Next problem to be worked on.

Further update. The ride home. AAArrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh.........

Wont start using key. The ignition light flicks on then a moment later no light. Check battery and tiniest bit loose on one cable. I tighten nut on battery. I tried to bump start, but no good. Then kicked it over using kickstart. Rides for a while then died on third set of lights. Key won't start bike. Kick start has no compression at all, no resistance at all. Next set of lights bike dies as dropping down in speed and gears. Key doesnt work. 3 kicks no resistance then fourth kick a running bike. Next set of lights dies and the same routine. 3 kicks absolutely no resistance. Then the bikes starts but backfires and splutters, never getting our 40kms/hour. Dies all up 5 times. Lucky I live close to the city. Had to push off the road twice in peak hour traffic..... lots of fun!!

Any ideas or suggestions??
Avoid traffic lights.

Back