broke carb emergency

halfbreed4lyfe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So craziest thing, the first time i bought my pod filters it was the wrong size, but it fit the tubing that went to the old filter so i attached them there, crazy unstable, and recently one fell off while i was driving got hit by a car and i ordered the 53mm correctly this time, now i get the new one and I'm all lets clean these cars hella good this time(cuz I still have the wont run without choke issue) cleaned my carbs lemon boil style again, i go outsied to do some carb cleaner spraying ad on my way in drop a carb. pick it up just a scratch. Go inside and start the rebuilding of them and what happens as i put the float needle housing back in the piece that hit the ground snaps off :yikes: heres a pic
IMG_20130507_190253_zps4e0c3748.jpg

So now what the hell am i supposed to do can I maybe jbweld this piece back on or will the vibrations not allow this, plus it will be emersed in gasoline. Carbs are crazy expensive (for me), and I dont know guys its just crazy bad luck for me what can i do. any suggestions?:confused:

Sh*t happens man.. Bummer.

but i would say, mc gyver it! The carbs are not under a lot of strain, not a lot of forces are exerted on them so as long as the fix can hold up against fuel, you're good. Just give it a try, worst case scenario is that it'll break again and you'll have to buy new carbs later. My advice is to keep looking for cheap replacement carbs while you ride around on a fix like that, just in case you'll need to replace in the end.

Or see if you can find some cheap carbs from a local scrapyard or something.

Sh*t does happen indeed, and I've been searching for some old carbs for sale, but its seems the mikuni vm 34 comes in many shapes and variations. I will look in the scrapp yards this weekend. Thanks for that one too lucky that will help with the piece together. I'm pretty sure the epoxies can hold up its just putting that float pin back in that makes me nervous, will it hold up to the slight tapping. but with a support inside it really should. Many thanks guys.:thumbsup:

I had the same thing happen recently. I jb welded the piece back on (with the pin in for alignment) and when I put it back together I just didn't push the pin in very tight. The sides of the float bowl will keep it from coming out. I have run the engine and taken the carbs apart (didn't clean well enough the first time) and the epoxy seems to be holding up pretty good. However, I can't speak to the long term durability of this solution because my build is far, far from finished.

IMG_20130511_155508_zps8221998c.jpg

IMG_20130511_155524_zpse8e5977e.jpg

IMG_20130511_155825_zps471fa33b.jpg

IMG_20130511_155927_zps5eb688d5.jpg

IMG_20130511_160013_zps1aede6bf.jpg

Ok these were the results of the fix, worked out pretty good, no give no breaking.
Installed carbs back onto bike she started up no starting fluid. Idle was rough and i noticed somthing rebuilding them. There is a hole missing a screw...:shrug: I kept thinking well whats it for. well its right by the throttle cable...hmmm:doh: this must be why I cant get my bike to ever hold a good idle and I could necer figure how to adjust my idle because I've had no idle adjust screw for who knows how long. I can find any screw with the proper specs at the hardware store. Any one know a fix or if mikes has one all i can find is this http://www.mikesxs.net/product/08-3008.htmlgm but it has no spring. I thought the idle adjust screw had a spring. I tried a bolt set up with a smaller screw didnt work too well sliped off the leer then got stuck. The nut slid down and idle screwed up again. :(

ran my bike today choke on with my make shift throttle stop screw, ran good, took it off choke after warm up and voila she ran. no choke. no starter fluid felt good to see. Really want to see how she runs giving her a lot of gas she started to sputter, but mixture screws are out only three turns may try 3.5. o well gonna keep messing with screw setups till i find alternative. Bikebandit seems to have one on sale for 2.95 but 6.95 shipping..no thanks, mikes xs is 5 bucks may go that route because i need new mains anyway. I really want to see if you have one crashcourse so let me know. Thanks again for looking.

I had the same issue when I took my carbs off for a good cleaning. The P O must have muscled the float pin out. I took it to a small welding shop who proceeded to hack it together. They destroyed the broken part but made another one that just works. I did buy another set of carbs from an XS 360 that will fit just incase. The welder cost me too much @ $50.00. Lesson learned don't go to a boiler shop for tiny Heliarc work. Go to your local small Airport and visit with a few repair shops there. If they can't help they are usually more than happy to direct you to some excellent people who can.

If the mix is wrong when you get on the throttle then its time to mess with pilots or mains. The idle mix is just for idling. I am on my way out of town right now, but i'll look for the idle adjuster screw as soon as I get back on Monday.

Whew, its been a busy week. The idle adjust screws I have are for a different carb model and screw into a bracket that mounts to the carbs separately.

ok no problem, I'm going to a legit hardware store tomorrow with a better screw selection and see if I cant find a better fit. Thanks for looking though.

I have an identical carb breakdown, it happened when tapping out the pin holding the float. There was a ton of gunky dried-up fuel in there that kept the pin from sliding out of the tower, and before I knew it, it had snapped off.
Ironically, I read this thread even before I broke it, so I knew I should've been more careful :(

I'm going to have my uncle aluminum-solder it back together, and will post an update on that here to contribute to the topic :)

How are you guys trying to get the pin out?

I found out long ago that it is a stupid idea to use pliers (I broke a carb too). I think it is best to use a small hammer and nail and drive it out carefully.

My broken carb:
vergaser_defekt_schwimmerachse.jpg

I drilled a hole into the lower part and fixed the pin with a wire. Works since maybe 20000 km.

I used a small hammer and a driftpunch (I think that's what it's called). Tapped softly but forgot to support the other end on the workbench... It doesn't take much force to break that thing

A way to insure that it wont happen again is to use xs360 or bs38 carb float pins. The pins will slide all the way through and will not get stuck like the xs400 ones do. The xs400 pins are thicker at the end that has the flat head. I could only guess it was a way to make it harder for the consumer to do the work. I have the earlier xs360 pins in all my bikes and never had any issues.

Attachments

• DSC02774.jpg
    DSC02774.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC02775.jpg
    DSC02775.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC02776.jpg
    DSC02776.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 391
Back