Broken Camshaft - Easy Fix?

XS-Morgan

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So i bought an 82 a couple weeks back, guy said it was running right before i bought it but couldn't get it started when i was there. Took it home, carbs looked clean, checked compression and was getting a whopping 0 in the LH cylinder, valve stuck open. Took the valve cover off and low and behold a busted camshaft (Pictures). My question is, has anybody dealt with this before? Is it an easy fix? What are the chances that i have shrapnel down in my valves and that those will also need to be replaced?
IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

Drain the oil. Check the sump. Look for metal flecks/pieces in there.

If you're lucky it was a clean break and there's just the bolts and one chunk of metal down in the bottom of the motor.

Valve damage is possible but if a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything you're probably OK.
One of the cam shaft sprocket bolts on my xs360 come loose and fell out. It marked the head slightly as it spun its way out but once it was loose it fell down into the sump and did no further damage.

There are a bunch of cam shafts on ebay.

There is a plate on the bottom of the DOHC engine. After you've drained the oil, be sure to remove it when looking for bits. It covers part of the sump. Use a magnet on a stick to get in there and snag parts. Be sure to replace the gasket as the center area feeds pressurized oil to the crank. Wouldn't want an internal pressure leak...

Alrighty, so i got the old cam shaft out and bought the new one. Drained the oil and took the plate off, fished out the loose parts except the chuck of the cam shaft that broke off, so i was going to try to flush it out with some diesel. To the untrained eye there does not appear to be an additional damage.Two part question:

1) the old cam shaft came out real easy since the bolts holding the sprocket on were broken off, should i install the new cam shaft the same way, by taking off the sprocket and torquing it once its in, or is there an easy way to brake the chain?

2) What do i do if i cant find this last piece? Cross my fingers and hope it doesn't make its way back up?

i just snapped my intake cam the other day, i believe the bike got stuck between gears or something like that, mine didn't break in the same place, it also snapped the cam chain. sounded pretty scary when i tried to crank it over on the side of the road to diagnose the issue. the motor just completely shut down, not even stall, took a split second to kill it!

Back