Bught another bike Suzuki GS450T Need help

Ace4569

Original XS400 Chick
Reaction score
So aside from the Maxim 650 I bought I found a 1983 GS450T for 600 bucks so I couldn't pass it up. It has 22,000 miles so it's an old clunker but the maxim I bought was just to nice to cut into and turn into anything so I figure I'll make this a bobber or a tracker. anyway I think there are some clutch issues and I think the timing is off. When I come to a full stop and turn it off after about an hour of riding it makes the backfire pop sound and after it's been turned on the RPMs are constantly running at 3-4 and when it gets to 5 it makes a sort of grinding sound. The Clutch feels really loose. Cosmetically it's a great bike I need the two side covers and the suzuki logos for the tanks but the chrome and everything is good. I'm jsut worried about that grindy sound and the clutch is just so loose. Any tips? if I can figure out how to do it I'll make a video of whats going on and post it. I'm just a little nervous while riding it I also got it so I could teach my friends to rie with me so anything will be helpful. It starts right up and doesn't need to be choked or anything just constantly at really high RPMS I also need a new seat cover or a way to repair leather if anyone has any pointers on that too.

2n0o2v7.jpg

23jg3k3.jpg

9irz9z.jpg

I'll look into both things I was kind of wondering if maybe the clutch was just worn. Any idea how much it would cost to fix that myself? and what is the level of complexity. I'm acutally going to start buying these old bikes and fixing them up and reselling and for the price on the GS I figure I can get a grand maybe 1200 to an idiot but I'm trying to work my way up to having 3 bikes and then 4 and eventually opening up my own shop maybe getting some cards made I'm stating school for mechanics next week I'm so excited and you guys really are what got me so wrapped up in working on bikes this site will turn you intoa gear head for sure

Last edited:
well its just a guess....only ever done MX clutches....they were relatively easy...getting the basket off if necessary can be a pain some times..but its not always necessary unless the basket has alot of ridges on the ears.
Study your mechanics diligently....a shop has to have a good reputation to stay in business.....and especially with motorcycles your taking peoples safety into your hands when you work on their machines....the liabilty could be crazy.

Back