Build kicked off after long delay

AMR-XS400

Chopping to XS
Reaction score
Hi all. I havent been on for a while but i have finally kicked off the cafe/brat build on my bucket case 77 XS400. So far its been stripped and the build is beginning. The engine is being rebuilt from ground up. Since this was a basket case (everything was in boxes and not on the bike) i am still finding things i need to buy, i cant complain since i only payed $50 for the whole deal. At the moment I'm looking at getting the rear loop welded on and a custom cafe seat made up. I want to go kick start only, but still think i need to run a battery. Also the plan is to fit 4.50x18" Firestone tyres front and rear. HAs anyone fitted tyres that big on the front, concerned about clearance.

Anyway this is my first cafe racer build, and first rebuild of any bike. Im building this as well as a 1949 BSA BD1 at the same time. anyway, bear with me as im new to this and may ask stupid questions. Is there anyone else from Australia? or even Brisbane?

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_3640.jpg
    IMG_3640.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3646.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 418
Hey mate, good luck with you build! I'm also in Australia, way down in Mexico. I'm getting some rear loops made up if your interested. Check out my thread for info. I've also got boxes of XS spare parts.

Hi AMR, I like your man-cave.

$50 for a bike in boxes, what a bargain.

4.5" on the front is some fat meat, I heard from the guys at Deus that the SR400's don't handle very well with the fat firestones they put on all their bikes. They look tough though.

I have removed my starter motor and siliconed a 45mm brass welch plug to block the hole.

Thanks Mr Chop, its a good little escape area. Just me and the bikes. I'm not to fussed about the handling as the bike will only been riden once in a blue moon and special events. If i want to hit the twisty stuff i can take one of the other bikes. I love Deus bikes, im so after that fat look, i don't think i will be going a 4.5 front now. i will be throwing a 4.00 fr and a 4.5 rear

I'm stoked, i have ordered my self some new brown coloured hand grips to keep that retro look, loaded gun rear sets, 2 into 1 intake (single carb setup), mini switches care of Jray and a Brass Stack from steel dragon performance. I have to say this forum has been great for resources and assistance. I will be sending my carbs to Gentleman Jim from this forum to rebuild them for me. can't wait!!

Attachments

• product_img_352_364x364.jpg
    product_img_352_364x364.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 328
  • product_img_233_364x364.jpg
    product_img_233_364x364.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 397
Where did you get the single carb manifold? Let's see a pic of it. Did you decide yet if you are going to use the Mikuni BS34 or BS38 carb?

Dumb question is it possible to go battery less?, if so i think that may be the way i'll take, and keep that battery box off my rebuild.

mate still not sure, it looks like the stock BS34 is the go. I am about to box everything up to send to you mate, now are these the BS34 carbs? these are the ones i plan to send to you.

Attachments

• DSC06212.jpg
    DSC06212.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC06213.jpg
    DSC06213.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 350
I ordered my new tyres today 4.50x18 Firestones for the rear and 4.00x18 firestones for the front. Can't wait to get them. I also picked up my new rotors today, i love the look.

Attachments

• DSC06211.jpg
    DSC06211.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 368
just trail fitted them and they fit perfect. The rotors came from a copy up in Brisbane called Metal Gear. Would love clip ons but my back won't handle it

After being corrected that the early BS34 had an aluminum top. The only way I know now for sure the difference is that the BS34 have the mixture adjustin screw in a vertical position were the carb mates to the cylinder. All our carbs may be BS34's. I haave revuilding kits in stock for the 34's so pick a couple of them and send some extral slides w/diaphragms. I'll ebuild one and return anything I do not use.

mate still not sure, it looks like the stock BS34 is the go. I am about to box everything up to send to you mate, now are these the BS34 carbs? these are the ones i plan to send to you.

Or are these the BS34's

After being corrected that the early BS34 had an aluminum top. The only way I know now for sure the difference is that the BS34 have the mixture adjustin screw in a vertical position were the carb mates to the cylinder. All our carbs may be BS34's. I haave revuilding kits in stock for the 34's so pick a couple of them and send some extral slides w/diaphragms. I'll ebuild one and return anything I do not use.

cool, ill send them out to you ASAP

Back