building a xs 400 to hardtail

thijs81

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello

I am Matthijs i'm 30 years old, i am from Holland , Europe and i am rebuilding a xs 400 se '81.
I want to build a hardtail so I bought this bike for € 250,-. because I don't wanted this to be a very expensive project. I thought , that this is a bike with a good looking enige.
So this is the bike i bought 29 - 12 - 2010 . It was in a bad shape.

Attachments

• aangepast 1.jpg
    aangepast 1.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
So i started to take off all the components of the bike. Until i had only the frame-work.
And with out a good plan i started to cut off some frame-work that i thought it wasn't useful.

Attachments

• aangepast 5.jpg
    aangepast 5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 598
Then I attempted to make a new hardtail frame. Because i never done this before and i had no reference ,It was just guessing what was good or not.

Attachments

• aangepast 7.jpg
    aangepast 7.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 532
  • aangepast 11.jpg
    aangepast 11.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 609
  • aangepast 12.jpg
    aangepast 12.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 637
A friend of mine welded all things together. then i had a solid frame

Attachments

• aangepast 17.jpg
    aangepast 17.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 482
  • aangepast 16.jpg
    aangepast 16.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 531
Then i bought a soloseat , fueltank from a old Jawa cz and a front fender from a fatboy. I wanted to used the fender on the rear of the bike. First i tried some things together.
So i could see if it worked for me

Attachments

• aangepast 24.jpg
    aangepast 24.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 698
  • aangepast 38.jpg
    aangepast 38.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 575
Wow, Nice job on the frame! Whats tank from?? Keep posting pictures of how your build progresses. We like pictures.

Then i made the wiring harness a bit smaller. All the wiring that wasn't necessary i cut off. Even the flashing lights en horn i cut off. It looks real wreckage but it all comes good.

Attachments

• aangepast 49.jpg
    aangepast 49.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 504
When i bought this bike it was freezing outside so i never tried the bike for a ride.
So i wanted to make the bike ready for a ride.
So i made from the orginal exhaust silencer a exhaust that the cops couldn't hear.
Because i wanted to try him , with out to be held by the cops. And they saw that the bike wasn't ok at all. So i tried it like this.

Attachments

• aangepast 60.jpg
    aangepast 60.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 655
I tried the bike for a few days. Its an old bike but and i realy liked how it rides. Its a lot of fun just to ride on your own made bike. Then it was time for to create more beautiful bike. The engine was very greasy so I begin to split up te engine , sand blastided en made it matte black. And made some parts shinny again.

Attachments

• aangepast 73.jpg
    aangepast 73.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 496
  • aangepast 69.jpg
    aangepast 69.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 509
  • aangepast 67.jpg
    aangepast 67.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 466
  • aangepast 63.jpg
    aangepast 63.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 472
  • aangepast 62.jpg
    aangepast 62.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 481
Then i wanted to make the wheels as new as possibel, so i spit up de the wheels painted de hub and rim glossy black and bought stainless steel spokes. And i made it al complete again. And Its NEW AGAIN !!
And i bought a white marker pen so i could make the letters on the tire white.

Attachments

• aangepast 79.jpg
    aangepast 79.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 356
  • aangepast 80.jpg
    aangepast 80.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 362
  • aangepast 81.jpg
    aangepast 81.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 369
  • aangepast 83.jpg
    aangepast 83.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 414
This is the last picture of this day. i wanted to make a photo from how the bike is looking now on this moment.I realy liks where this is going en i realy like the picture to.
But i m not sure what kind of colors i'm going to use maybe u have some ideas.

Attachments

• aangepast 84.jpg
    aangepast 84.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 702
Looks excellent the way it is, I REALLY like that bike. Nice job. Get a few more pics, some a little closer so we can see the details.

I'm liking that a lot. Looks like there's some decorative scroll work on the single down tube. And the white raised white lettering on the tires makes for a great nostalgic look. Be nice to see it finished and in paint.:thumbsup:

Because the motor was black en the carbs where the orginal colour , i didn't like it together. Today i spraid the carbs matt black en make somy parts shinny again. It's now better.
Does anyone now the right fuelinjectorscrew ( i dont know the right word) u have to use with open exhaust and volcity stacks ? now i have 142 but i think it is to lean. And the screw for the mixture feul and air how many turns open?

Attachments

• aangepast 86.jpg
    aangepast 86.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 446
Back