1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

building a xs 400 to hardtail

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thijs81, Jan 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

Hello

I am Matthijs i'm 30 years old, i am from Holland , Europe and i am rebuilding a xs 400 se '81.
    I want to build a hardtail so I bought this bike for € 250,-. because I don't wanted this to be a very expensive project. I thought , that this is a bike with a good looking enige.
    So this is the bike i bought 29 - 12 - 2010 . It was in a bad shape.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

So i started to take off all the components of the bike. Until i had only the frame-work.
    And with out a good plan i started to cut off some frame-work that i thought it wasn't useful.

Attached Files:

3. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

Then I attempted to make a new hardtail frame. Because i never done this before and i had no reference ,It was just guessing what was good or not.

Attached Files:

4. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

A friend of mine welded all things together. then i had a solid frame

Attached Files:

5. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

Then i bought a soloseat , fueltank from a old Jawa cz and a front fender from a fatboy. I wanted to used the fender on the rear of the bike. First i tried some things together.
    So i could see if it worked for me

Attached Files:

6. tgp---

tgp--- XS400 Member

Wow, Nice job on the frame! Whats tank from?? Keep posting pictures of how your build progresses. We like pictures.

7. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

nice build, like the idea of a jawa cz tank.

8. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

Then i made the wiring harness a bit smaller. All the wiring that wasn't necessary i cut off. Even the flashing lights en horn i cut off. It looks real wreckage but it all comes good.

Attached Files:

9. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

When i bought this bike it was freezing outside so i never tried the bike for a ride.
    So i wanted to make the bike ready for a ride.
    So i made from the orginal exhaust silencer a exhaust that the cops couldn't hear.
    Because i wanted to try him , with out to be held by the cops. And they saw that the bike wasn't ok at all. So i tried it like this.

Attached Files:

10. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

I tried the bike for a few days. Its an old bike but and i realy liked how it rides. Its a lot of fun just to ride on your own made bike. Then it was time for to create more beautiful bike. The engine was very greasy so I begin to split up te engine , sand blastided en made it matte black. And made some parts shinny again.

Attached Files:

11. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

Then i wanted to make the wheels as new as possibel, so i spit up de the wheels painted de hub and rim glossy black and bought stainless steel spokes. And i made it al complete again. And Its NEW AGAIN !!
    And i bought a white marker pen so i could make the letters on the tire white.

Attached Files:

12. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

This is the last picture of this day. i wanted to make a photo from how the bike is looking now on this moment.I realy liks where this is going en i realy like the picture to.
    But i m not sure what kind of colors i'm going to use maybe u have some ideas.

Attached Files:

13. 01ps

01ps XS400 Addict

Looks excellent the way it is, I REALLY like that bike. Nice job. Get a few more pics, some a little closer so we can see the details.

14. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

nice so far, i'm feeling a candy red for the tank

15. volcomskater77

volcomskater77 XS400 Chopophile Top Contributor

love the bars. the way it sits with the seat hight and ground clearance make me think of a vintage mild chopper. nice job!

16. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

One picture at daytime , i can't help it the more i look the more i'm loving it.

Attached Files:

17. Reaper

Reaper Reaper Ramone

I'm liking that a lot. Looks like there's some decorative scroll work on the single down tube. And the white raised white lettering on the tires makes for a great nostalgic look. Be nice to see it finished and in paint.:thumbsup:

18. thijs81

thijs81 XS400 Enthusiast

Because the motor was black en the carbs where the orginal colour , i didn't like it together. Today i spraid the carbs matt black en make somy parts shinny again. It's now better.
    Does anyone now the right fuelinjectorscrew ( i dont know the right word) u have to use with open exhaust and volcity stacks ? now i have 142 but i think it is to lean. And the screw for the mixture feul and air how many turns open?

Attached Files: