Building front caliper brackets

Maxim-umm

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm gonna do a dual disc conversion on my 82 DOHC maxim and have searched, read, re-read, and virtually memorized the threads I could find on the site. The parts I'm using are from a '97 FZR600 (at least that's what the auction said...) I have both front calipers, the m/c (came with calipers) and the rotors will be here Tuesday. My big question on all this is.....What type aluminum plate should I use for the actual brackets?

The plans on drewpy's thread, when he did his tracker, used 5083, but reading up on some aluminum machinability and it seems it's a little harder to work with. Would 6061 be ok? Or is is not "strong" enough for this type of application. Am I mixing up terminology (machinability = workability)? Reading a lot of this info is confusing to me and, well, it's a lot of info to try and learn. I'll keep searching around the web, but I thought I'd try here as well. Thanks all!

don't be too hung up on the ally, I think i came up with 6061-T6 or 6082-T6 as the old T5 is, well, old.
T7 is Aerospace stuff

Thanks smith, I'm gonna try out the less expensive 6061 first (just in case I screw it up) and if it all turns out, great!! Maybe down the road I'll grab some 7075 and "upgrade" the brackets. Probably when I get another xs to work on :bike:

Thanks smith, I'm gonna try out the less expensive 6061 first (just in case I screw it up) and if it all turns out, great!! Maybe down the road I'll grab some 7075 and "upgrade" the brackets. Probably when I get another xs to work on :bike:

make it out of ply first and see how it fits. Use washers to fettle the distances etc. then cut the alloy

measure 4 times, cut once :bike:

I'm gonna start with a cardboard template, then plywood, then alloy. That way I can make general corrections with cardboard, some finer fitment adjustments with the ply and washers, then hopefully mess with the alloy once.

Also, I was suppose to get my rotors today. Turns out they've been delayed for some reason and now I won't get them until the 6th. ......laaaammmeee.........

finally got the rotors!! will probably start working on the cardboard template tomorrow and move to ply. one problem though, I can't find the right bearings for the front wheel. anybody know what bike uses 42x17x13 (od x id x w) bearings? or what the all balls part number is? I'm gonna send them an email as well. Just thought I'd touch base here first.

I've searched for hours and hours trying to find the right info (probably not using the right keywords):banghead:, then drewpy comes and posts this link....done in 5 minutes. Ridiculous:wtf: But big thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Back