Burnt down XS, café rebuild

Narratis

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get my bike back on the road in style, as a café racer.
This is my first mayor project, after rebuilding my rusty Zündapp moped a few years ago, and some modest repairing and retouching on my NSU Fox last year.
As the XS400 burnt to the ground, essentially turning every part into garbage, there was, is and will be a lot to do.
I've been at it for about a year, one babystep at a time, but right now the build is picking up speed again.

I can only work on it over the weekends, as I study away from home, where the garage is, so I tackle things one at a time, one post at a time hereafter. Posts will be edited, as I am slow with photo uploads.

First, some history (or read my intro here http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13753:

I bought the bike with sidecar from my cousin, who left it in his driveway rotting. He needed to get rid of it so it was cheap, which is why I bought it really (didn't have a licence yet, so no riding for me). I then put it away in the back of our garden.

full

One day, dad set to work on it trying to get it started. Some sparks jumped, went on a fiery date with gasoline, and left glowing cinders where once stood a motorcycle.

full

full

I got the crazy idea in my head to start building this thing back up from scratch, using all the spare parts that came with it, and some of dads life-collection of parts.

During the cold wintery months of last year I began the ordeal of stripping away the molten plastic and rusty, burned metal bits until I was left with an empty frame. Meanwhile, I let my imagination run wild, resulting in a cool reversed handlebar mount and some intense "VrooomVroooommVRROOOOOOOOOMMMMM-ing."

full

full

I actually really like these wonky speedo-needles
full

Dad hooked me up with some of his assets:
- A Suzuki T500 spoked front wheel (19 inch) that has double-operated drumbrakes which looks
really cool! With it came the forks (no springs unfortunately) , for which I had the
Yamaha mounts modified.
- A Suzuki GS550 spoked rear wheel (18 inch)
- An aftermarket fibreglass body kit for the T500 of which I used the long-ass gastank
I mock-mounted the wheels into the frame, so it is easy to move, but some serious engineering will be needed to make it work later.

The front wheel in most but not all of its glory:
full

Mock-up (kinda looks like a Brat to me)
full

Over the summer I began constructing a café seat/rear-end, which didn't go exactly as planned. I ended up poylesther-fibreglassing my model and left it unfinished. I will resume work on that when the bike is approaching roadworthyness.

First steps
full

Seat mock-up
full

I used construction foam to fill the space, then filler to fill the foam holes
full

full

full

This construction was far from solid, so I decided to step out of my comfort zone and do some fibreglass work, which was entirely new to me. I used this model as a negative, destroying it in the process (so many hours of work lost :( )

Taped up to be fibleglassed.
full

Then I started working on the engine (yes, this is CHAOS). For some reason I wanted to clean it up first and then see if it even runs, so that cost me a lot of valuable time.
On the up side, I did experiment with sodablasting, and managed to replace all the burnt cables with donors from the spare engine.

Eventually I proceeded to mount the engine, half cleaned, into the frame and do some rewiring. This is how it sits now, with seat, tank, front-end, wheels and engine:
full

Next thing on the list was the carbs.
I opened them up for inspection, only to find them gunked up in oily gasoline residue. One of them was jammed badly so I took it apart and broke it in the process (as discussed in detail this thread: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10312

So, I took it to my uncle, who knows a great deal about anything that concerns combustion. He wanted to try and solder it, using some sort of aluminium solder. But first, I had to clean it up.

full

nicely bristled steel bits :)
full

Last weekend, I went back to my uncle to get the carb fixed. Unfortunately, the soldering was ultimately a failure; Nothing would adhere to the break-surface. To my delight however, he agreed to try and weld it, so my uncle fired up his TIG welder and built a neat little bauxite tower on the foundation of the old one.
So I went home with a blob on my carb and started filing away the excess, after bolting it onto a good solid plank to hold it still (greatest tip ever!).

full

Some measuring, for good measure ;)
full

The result is fairly neat, only the redrilling is not quite horizontal, just a little off. If it proves troublesome, I'll just have to redo it...

(more pictures soon!)

Next weekend: Cleaning up the second carb.
(I hope)

Cheers!

awesome project. What are your plans with the sidecar? Was it ruined in the fire?

The sidecar was not/hardly damaged in the fire, but definitely needs an overhaul. It's been outside without cover for years, so the body is rotten and needs a lot of welding. Also, plants were growing out of the old seat, so that must be replaced. The frame is pretty solid though, I think.
Anyway, that's a project for when the bike's finished.

Progress & Thoughts!

First Progress WHOOOYEAAAH

Today I cleaned the second carb, not very thoroughly, but a lot more effectively than last time :)
These pretty badboys are ready to blast!
full

full

Thought I'd share (though probably not new), to unscrew those really stuck/locktited bolts that are impossible to get out with a screwdriver, I used this nifty tool; Downwards force and leverage without ruining your wrist! Also, interchangeable bits!

full

Tomorrow (if the weather allows) I'm going to see if I can mount the carbs and prepare it for starting. I don't have a kickstarter on and it might be wrecked anyway, so I need to get the starter engine running. I have no idea how and where to hook up the battery and what the essentials are, since it all that got lost in the fire. Also I have no working ignition key so it has to be "hotwired".
I'll search the forum for any guide to bare minimum starting, but any hints/tips are most welcome!

Also, my new phone with better camera is on its way, so no more crappy pictures from now on.

Thoughts now, since pondering on design-issues is important.

My general idea of this bike should be, fast looking and dazzling, decent performance/fuel-economy balance and not too loud... yet loud in a good way
I'm thinking deep dark red colour with a dark grey of black frame and striping, maybe even light grayish (all satin, no high gloss). I already bought a red paint that I might use.

How to tackle- plan:
Build an ugly bike that works, with all bits and pieces installed, then take it apart, paint it and build it pretty. Easypeasy

I like the idea of a left-side 2 in 1 exhaust with some classic yet brutal looking muffler on it... would be a cool experiment to fabricate and reduces noise too (I think). Also, it would balance the bike a bit when I mount the sidecar to it.
Dad however, the ever persistent thought changer, says no, a café needs 2 big loud pipes. And he has just the pipes for it too; old Laverda trumpet-y things. I haven't seen them but it sounds pretty promising... we'll see soon enough. (will post pics)
Maybe I'll do both

While soring out the mess left by a recent storm that blew away my working shelter, I encountered the sissybars that used to be on the bike... I think I might turn them into a headrest for the sidecar in the future, quircky and super comfy!

Also, today I found some of the toys dad has been ordering off the net. He got an automatic planishinghammer! It's like a dream come true, now I can finally build the battle armor I always wanted! Or a set of fancy fenders :) Is gonna come in handy too when tackling doing the sidecar :thumbsup:

Any feedback, comments, thoughts, hints and tips are welcome!

Cheers!

Todays thoughts and activities.

As you may have figured out already, this build is as low budget as I can keep it. That means recycling as much as possible. At the same time I want the bike to have cool new bits, and be original, so I will be spending strategically.
It's got to have a minimal look while retaining most safety and comfort features.
I'll most likely rebuild the original handlebar switchunits, but polish the aluminium for a wicked new look. I'm also considering using an old army inner helmet for a frontend streamliner... That ought to look cool.
I found a cool speedometer on the net that has
Integrated indication lights.... Subtle and useful, but kinda expensive :(

Today brought good things and bad things. Drewpy gave me some solid tips to rig my engine for starting, but that means I need to find the parts... I have to start sorting my parts inventory, a daunting task.
Anyways, as I was digging through parts cathalogs I discovered I skipped vital carb part. That'll save me some time later :)
Sadly though, I also found my manifolds in a sorry state, and those are expensive to replace... More delays, and more reasons tot start figuring out exact what parts I have, who knows what the magic box will procure.

More next weekend.

Cheerio

Last edited:
So i see that i type a LOT of text, but anyway, here's the result of 3 days of being ill. Also, I discovered among all my loose parts a decent set of manifolds! Almost ready for starting.
full

It's been a while since my last post... I've been very busy doing all sorts of things, you know.
Anyhow, I managed to start the bike!!!! :bike:
Here's the video I made a few weeks ago when I was working on it: Starting my XS400

This is a milestone, even though it's far from perfect.

Since then, I fixed the exhaust problem, found myself some sweet powerfilters making starting a lot more smooth!
Next, I'm going to mock up some more decent wiring and install the kickstarter I finally tracked down. That should eliminate the need for an external battery, which is a hassle and a hazard, really.
After that, I'll tackle the righthand cylinder, which won t run properly yet.

Dutch Kid over and out!

I like the video. It'd save me a lot of tearing apart if I could test half as much out of the frame as you have setup. I recently got mine started for the first time in the year since I bought it. Very exciting times.

Going with a stock battery inside the frame or a smaller one for kick-only?

Very exciting indeed!
I haven't decided on any battery yet and don't have one right now, but judging from the battery bin, the original might just fit under the seat I made.
However, I definitely want to keep my electric starter because my right knee went from good to bad quite prematurely, literally :(

I started calling my project "Burnie", obviously, because it burnt down, and I think having a bike with a name and a story to back it is just awesome. It's just that I'd like the name to be less obvious and more feminine, because she's my baby :D
so I'm going name shopping soon :p

anyhow , I did some work this weekend, spending hours outside in the sun with my second love :laugh:
Things done:
- Tested new wiring
- Removed half of that wiring...redundant etc
- Set ignition timing statically
- Listened to her ROAR
- patched the front tire, which had a leaking inner tube.

The ignition was WAY off and it backfired continuously, but it runs OK-smoothly right now, fairly consistently on 2 cilinders... need to tune the carbs and do a running calibration at some point in the future anyway, so enough of that now.

next jobs on the list:
- disassemble, restore and make complete the front forks. The springs are missing, and who knows what else.
- Allign wheels to center and line up the sprockets, may prove laborious :(
- if that ever gets done, figure out footrest positions and build me a functional bike: brakes, shift and clutch

That's it for now!

Over and out.

You are definitely ambitious, Dutch Kid. It sounds like you have some good help, too.

If you weren't overseas I'd be all over you for that sidecar. I would be sure to be putting more miles on my bike if I could take my dog along.

Great progress so far.

haha, Thanks!

Yeah I have a great family advice... 4 gearhead uncles and my dad
Sidecars are awesome! I went on my first ride when I was barely a month old and our dog used to love the wind in his face back in the day :bike:
(so you weren't gonna get it from me anyway :thumbsup: )

I have great ambition for sure: This is my first 4-stroke, first twin, first bike really... I've never done paint, welding or any of the important stuff.. this project is huge haha

I just need to resist the urge to start working on other bikes... there's plenty lying around I'm afraid.... especially a slick-looking XS750 that really only needs a new engine, which we have...:banghead: Ugh.. can't ride that yet anyway, just 17 more months till my next license.

Can't wait for weekend :doh:

Peace

So.... I just made another starting attempt and got scared a little....
I can't get the left cylinder toin in the chorus, stalling the bike continuously.

Then I saw a little smoke/vapour rising from the engine, near the oil-airfilter and starter motor lids.... :wtf:
Combined with the awful screaming noise the enigine makes when it stops running, I suspect that, somehow, my startergears won't unclutch or something, and I might be wrecking the starter.... HELP: confused:

So.... I just made another starting attempt and got scared a little....
I can't get the left cylinder toin in the chorus, stalling the bike continuously.

Then I saw a little smoke/vapour rising from the engine, near the oil-airfilter and starter motor lids.... :wtf:
Combined with the awful screaming noise the enigine makes when it stops running, I suspect that, somehow, my startergears won't unclutch or something, and I might be wrecking the starter.... HELP: confused:
The left cylinder could be a range of things. Carbs, valve clearance, ignition, timing.

Sounds like the smoke could just be oil vapor from the breather. It'll happen after trying to start the engine a bit. Unless it's coming directly out of the starter cover I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about the noise symptom. Mine started making a rattling sounds when stopping. Turned out to be a bolt that worked free inside the engine.

Back