Cafe? Brat style?

jed74126

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Not sure where I'm going with this build yet. Had all intentions of a Scrambler build when I started. Probably gonna be more Brat style by the looks of it so far. What do you guys think so far?
20190613_202716.jpg
Still got work to do on the front. Gonna go with a smaller headlight for starters. 5-3/4" with an H4 halogen bulb. I have the turn signals to match the rear already. Working on sourcing a shorter front fender, the stock one has a crack in it between the mount and the cable guide. So I just made up a bar the keep the cables away from the front wheel for now. Gauges are going away and going to be replaced with a single 2.5" analog speedo with the 4 indicator lights built in. Mirrors are going to be replaced with the same mirrors that are on my XT250 as they vibrate way less than the stock mirrors. And I've already tried them, I can see way better with them.
20190613_202821.jpg
With the very helpful advise from everyone here I managed to get the carbs tuned to my pod filters and exhaust. This thing runs, idles, and cruises perfectly now. For a 38 year old bike I am impressed with how well it runs. Special thanks to xschris on his wording on reading spark plugs as that definitely made it easier to dial in these carbs.

I didn't completely disappear just been busy with work and working on the my XS. Finally got the new headlight installed.
20190709_211646.jpg

And the new speedometer.
20190711_175341.jpg

I have the matching tach but decided not to use it due to it not reading correctly. The tach I purchased is a 1.5 ratio but reads around 2000 rpm when the bike is actually idling at 1200 rpm. My cousin made me a tach cable delete plug.
20190711_175400.jpg

Next on my list is mirrors (still want to go with the same round mirrors that are on my 08 XT250). New rear shocks, front fender, and 18" rear rim and new tires.

Looking good! Please update when you find your rear shocks. I still have the old stock ones and I'm looking for some new ones too.

Back