Cafe Racer build log

I love that '77 tank. I think the way it angles down in the rear is awesome. When it connects flawlessly with the seat it's my favorite look. I'm stoked you decided to keep it. It's gonna look awesome.

Something went wrong :yikes:.... in my modelling, I forgot to keep the flat top (like the tank and the metal plate I formed after the tank), and made it round :banghead:

Otherwise it seems to work - using the bottom of the old seat.
full

Hmmmm I must live with the shape of my seat..... would have been better with the shape of the tank, but I have worked to hard with the seat so far, to throw it away.

So now for the filling, grinding, filling, grinding.... seems to take no end ;(
full

The tank is a little rusty inside. To remove the rust I use water, a spoon full sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), an iron stick and my battery charger. - on the tank, and + to the iron stick.

Works very well - have done it before on the tank of my XJ600 Diversion. Unfortunately the rust was all, that kept the tank tight, so after removing the rust, I had to use Tank cure. I don't understand, why a 16 year old tank on a very pretty and not rusty bike, can be that rusty ? Well - it worked, and the tank is tight again.

The XS400 tank is not that rusty, so I guess it will be clean during the day.
full

Still haven't learnt how to paint in a just descent quality..... but first try went allmost okay.
full

too bad about that end of the seat man, that would have looked so sweet in line with the tank.. Bit bulky looking now

Just ride your XS and don't get off, then no one will notice it not being exactly right.

So yealous of your garage though, here in NL it's snowing again and I have to do everything outside. Seems like you have a nice warm place to do your stuff in. Maybe your paint job is not as you hoped because it's still so cold? Good paint depends almost entirely on temperature and humidity... although a bit of very fine sandpaper and a couple of layers of clear coating can save almost everything..

Good luck in the rest of the build!

looks great.. I,m looking forward to seeing this done.. I was thinking of doing the same thing with my seat.. that way i can still lock it down and use all the factory setup..
just trim and cut what i dont need off the back end.. what are you planning for a rear fender and lights?

I have bought an original rear fender - but I'm planing on dropping it, and just leave the plastic fender. I've designet a licensplate holder to fit underneath the saddle... that way the licens plate will work as a short fender :)

In the start I wanted a build ind tail light - bur fell in love with a small tail light to mount at the end of the saddle. It's sold many places - also in the danish Wrenchmonkees.dk. I hope it will deliver both light, brakelight and light for the license plate.

And Willem - it's even colder in Denmark - and I think that's why my painting didn't go well - I paintet it in a steel barn for agricultural machines. I'm now grinding it down, and moving inside my "workshop", where I have a fireplace, for the next try out in painting :)

This winter is too long in nothern Europe ! Please give us sunlight and warm wind soon !

The seat (foam'n more) didn't turn out quite like I ordered. But for a start (and for free) I think it will do.
Paintning is not finished yet (still to cold in Denmark)
full

Think I will make a brown stribe - trying out with tape....
full

And yes .... It is quite wide.... not that I'm that much a fatass, but building over the existing seat makes it more wide, than I imagined....

And almost there... still missing the top layer of lacquer...... which is where my painting always goes wrong :banghead:

full

Headlight has to be painted white, and lowered......but that will leave the speedometer n'more "hanging" quite alone.....

In my opinion the round cowl doesn't clash with the angled tank as much as you think. Doesn't look bad at all. One thing I would have proposed it a thin stripe on each side of the thick brown stripe. I think it always looks better than a single syripe. I know it's a bit late. Do like that you off set it though. Nice work on the bike thus far. Give me motivation to look at doing this to my spare seat.

Spring has arrived in Denmark - so I will leave the XS alone, and ride my XJ 600 Diversion S.

Yesterday I tried to paint a thin line parallel to the one I have paintet from the headlight, down the tank, and ending at the licensplate. Painting one line is pretty easy - I can't see, if it is not 100 % straight. But doing a line next to it reveals just the thiniest deviation So I gave up. Couldn't get the tape to follow the first line. In stead I'm going for laquer !

You're right, LuckyEight. I forgot to cut of the mounts for passenger footrest :( F... - didn't notice til now. Must find something to mount at them..... and Yes - the seat is quite long, because it is build upon the original seat. I'm either going til find a new wife with a very small behind or gain or loose a lot of weight my self :)

Back