Cafe Racer build log

I realise for sure, that there is a reason, that carpainters have an education in 3,5 years... i'ts not as easy as I thought it would be....

And the idea of using not all clear laquer is sick. It gives a lovely "glow", but it means it has to have the exact same amount of laquer alle over :(

It looks like shit, but since I've had an accident om my XJ600 and has to sit almost still for 7 more weeks, I have to cope with it :(

full

With the headlight lowered.... that actually does a lot for the look !
full

When the neckcollar gets of, I am putting on the engine without any polishing. Polish must be next winters project.

Any idea where to buy clip on handlebars in 33 mm ? Found these on ebay but they look a little to clumsy.
These from Wrenchmonkees are better, but costs the front of a jetairplane.... and they are only in chrome.

Thanks Andy241. Just ordered !

Just one more week with neck collar and plaster, then I'm on the road again :thumbsup:

Vielen dank. Ich habe es jetzt bestellt.

Nur noch 1 Woche, dann habe ich nicht mehr mit Halskrause und Gips.

Dank aus Dänemark.

Great to hear that!
Check out that shop. they have a lot of good stuff, what u can need!
I ordered the one of that seats, because i saw that much work, what u did!
That Clip ons, a rear light, with that Stop-sympol, a tiny horn, and 4 Bullet flashes!

But, i dont get any further with my project!
I stuck, with my FootPegs, because, i want that supersports sitting position, so i bought used R6 Footrests and now i try, that they fit...

So, good look, watching that Thread ;)

Hey Philodoxo I just came across this tread and I love it. I've been planning on using my stock seat to make a cafe seat and I'm glad to see that someone else has done the same thing.

Hi 77 xs360
It turned out okay. It is a little wide, but for a heavy weight wide ass like me, it's good :) And it made it possible to keep the battery beneath the seat - and even open up to see:thumbsup:

I realise for sure, that there is a reason, that carpainters have an education in 3,5 years... i'ts not as easy as I thought it would be....

And the idea of using not all clear laquer is sick. It gives a lovely "glow", but it means it has to have the exact same amount of laquer alle over :(

What do you mean not using all clear laquer. I'm a solid painter myself and i've never heard of doing what you said. They make semi-gloss and matt finish clear if that's what you mean? Also if you mess up you can always sand the bike down with 1000-1500-2000-2500 then buff and any imperfection in the paint will be gone. It gets rid of "orange peel" too and makes the finish mirror like.

It's time to finish the cafe-racer. I've mounted the clip-on handlebars. The brake-cylinders are painted red (okay - not that grown up a thing to do, but that was the heatresistent paint I had)
The engine needs to be cleaned. Since I've been out of business, since I hit a car with 80 km/h and broke my bones 8 Places, my project didn't finish in summer as planned. To get it on the road this year, i'll have to live with a not cleanes and polished engine.

Photos to come....

By the way my Yamaha XJ600 S Diversion died in the crash, and I've - for the first time in my life - bought a non-Yamaha. Yes I know - it's blasphemic, but I'm getting more and more pleased with the Honda CBR1000F.

So I got the engine put on.
full

Yes - the engine looks like sh.. I gave up my polishing projekt - that will be done later - for now I want it in the streets by march, when the insurance covers again. (In Denmark we are not allowed to ride bikes from december to february - unless we have a special insurance. Anyway it's to cold)

Learned a lot about the brakes on this site, and from taking it completely apart. Now the rear brake is back on..... not sure the red color gives the right look, but at least I have tried it out :)
full

And by the way - this is my replacement for the XJ600, that I totally wrecked.

full

Yes - it is close til blasphemy not only to ride Yamaha. Even my guitar is a Yamaha.... But it's a nice ride, and I got it cheap.

Back