Cafe seat installation, Starter relay hanging

Old Mose

Daily Rider
Reaction score
I was looking at the latest post concerning building a cafe racer an realized that installing the seat to the frame with screws as I did several years ago is the common method. I've ridden my bike around town for about 3 years totaling about 5000 miles with not one major problem. I have a stand that I drive my bike into in the garage. Recently I came home, raised the garage door and pulled in and started to park when I choked the bike down as I sometimes do. You have to be easy with the throttle and sometimes I'm to easy! I pressed the starter button and the starter relay hung on causing the starter to run continuously. Even with my tools only a few steps away it took a far longer than I expected to get the seat off and disconnect the battery which is by now dead. I've now replaced the relay with a quality one and the screws with push button hood pins which only require me to push the 3 buttons and pull to get the seat off. Just an observation, draw your own conclusions.

I would guess this is one of the reasons yamaha put lift off seats on these bikes.

Back