California Registration-Emission Sticker

nujee

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of registering my XS400 that was out of the DMV system. It is now back in the system and all it needs is to get verified by DMV. I have been reading a lot and about the vehicle verification process and people are saying that bike has to have a Ca emission sticker/label in order to pass the inspection. Can anyone that had experience on this chime in. My bike doesn't have the said sticker, I bought the bike with a lot of missing parts but I am putting parts I have sitting around to make it look complete. I'm just worried that I might not be able to get it registered.

I don't really know much about California motorcycle regulations but I can't imagine they would inspect a bike this old too meticulously. I also have to go for inspection here in New York this week so I guess will compare experiences. Oh yeh and DMV sucks

Last edited:
Good luck to you phate! I'm still waiting on some parts I ordered so that it will look like a complete bike when I take it for inspection.

From the AMA state law reference:

Safety Helmet Required by law
State Funded Rider Ed Available for all eligible applicants - required under age 21
Eye Protection Not Required
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law-modulating headlight permitted, required for vehicles manufactured during or after 1978
Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Age Restriction None Helmet Speakers Single earphone only Periodic Safety Inspection Required by law - random
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law
Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Required by law
Muffler Muffler required. No muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device (27150. Adequate Muffler Required). Maximum Sound Level Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 ft from center lane of travel:1)Pre-1970..92dba; 2) After 1969, and before 1973...88dba; 3) After 1972, and before 1975...86dba; 4) After 1974, and before 1986...83dba; 5) After 1985...80dba (27201-27202. Motorcycle Limits).
State Insurance Requirements Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(15/30/5) - Financial responsibility requried. A driver involved in an accident who fails to prove existence of financial responsibility at time of accident shall have driver's license suspended for 1 year.
Handlebar Height A person shall not drive a two-wheel motorcycle that is equipped with handlebars so positioned that the hands of the driver, when upon the grips, are more than six inches above his or her shoulder height when sitting astride the seat.
Earplugs No Restriction.
Rider-Education Waiver Skill Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes
Accept RiderEd Completion Card From Other States No

I think you are talking about the sticker they put on at the factory that says the bike meets epa requirements. This isnt a sticker you can go and get from someone. My guess is that most places wont really care unless the bike is newer. Im not even sure they did that back in the late 70s and 80s, so I wouldnt be to concerned. If I was you just call the dmv and ask if it is a problem.

I think you are talking about the sticker they put on at the factory that says the bike meets epa requirements. This isnt a sticker you can go and get from someone. My guess is that most places wont really care unless the bike is newer. Im not even sure they did that back in the late 70s and 80s, so I wouldnt be to concerned. If I was you just call the dmv and ask if it is a problem.

Yeah I called DMV and the guy said for years 78 and up model it has to have that. Some people were able to get their bike registered without it and some didnt. I think it depends on how knowledgeable the person inspecting the bike about this type of situation. I'll probably do it next week so and I'll update you guys if I get it or not.

To tell you the truth I've never heard of a single person being denied registration for their motorcycle due to anything emissions related in california. This is the first I've ever heard of such a law/rule? Let us know how it goes.

Ya from what I have been reading policy makers just clamped down on this. Its only been in the past few years that they have been checking for the sticker. Also from what I have read most places dont even know the existence of such a sticker, so I think it is kind of luck of the draw type thing. You may get a guy that is very diligent about his job and he will check you, or you might get a guy that is there simply for the paycheck and you wont get checked

Yeah a supposed C.A.R.B. sticker was either on the air filter covers or under the seat. I doubt it.
I contacted Yamaha USA headquarters in Cypress CA, gave them the XS's serial # and I was able to pick up a letter from them( I live 20 min. away),on official Yamaha letterhead, stating my motorcycle met all DOT,EPA and California Air Resource Board (or C.A.R.B.) regulations. The DMV should accept that.They did in my case.
Needs to be on Official Yamaha letterhead,legit from the Company.

Yeah a supposed C.A.R.B. sticker was either on the air filter covers or under the seat. I doubt it.
I contacted Yamaha USA headquarters in Cypress CA, gave them the XS's serial # and I was able to pick up a letter from them( I live 20 min. away),on official Yamaha letterhead, stating my motorcycle met all DOT,EPA and California Air Resource Board (or C.A.R.B.) regulations. The DMV should accept that.They did in my case.
Needs to be on Official Yamaha letterhead,legit from the Company.

Cool:thumbsup:That's what the AAA agent I spoke with told me.. to get a letter from Yamaha. I'll try to call them tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Do you still have the copy of the letter by any chance? Does it say your VIN?

They didn't bother with mine at all. Just checked to see that my frame vins matched my engine vins, Off you go, hand in old plates, get new plates. They even loaned me a screwdriver.

Reg'd in Cali last jan. No emissions requirements at all. Ain't nobody got time for that.

They didn't bother with mine at all. Just checked to see that my frame vins matched my engine vins, Off you go, hand in old plates, get new plates. They even loaned me a screwdriver.

Reg'd in Cali last jan. No emissions requirements at all. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Nice!:thumbsup:

Wait, what year is your bike? is that the bike on your avatar.

nujee close inspection of my avatar reveals make and year....

Also, that sunset orange bike was only made in in 76 I believe.

nujee close inspection of my avatar reveals make and year....

Also, that sunset orange bike was only made in in 76 I believe.

ah ok..yeah they only require the EPA sticker on the 78 and up model so your bike was exempt. I already requested a letter from yamaha stating that my bike passed the emmision certification the year it came out just waiting for them to email me the letter and mail the hard copy. So now I'm sure I can register it!:)

Wow! It must be some kind of nice there in California. I can't see why else people would put up with this kind of crap... :)

WARNING: This message contains things known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. But only when read in the State of California.

problem solved! got my letter from yamaha. thanks for all your help guys. Will make a build thread once I got evey parts im waiting. this will be a brat style bike.
IMG-20130311-WA0003_zps58c1118c.jpg

:D

Posted via Mobile

Back