Campbell45's "Penny Pincher" bobber

Campbell45

Penny Pincher
Reaction score
Hey guys thought I would show you my first build. Its been posted over at yamahaclub and at custom fighters forum. But I thought I would post it here too since you guys are like the only xs400 forum.

Anyway I bought this bike at a salvage yard for $300 titled. It was laying in gravel, rusting, and didnt run. I had bought an 80 earlier but was missing alot of parts. So I bought this and pieced them together.

Here is the build list:
-hardtailed
-engine rebuilt
-engine covers polished
-mikuni 34's roundslides
-sportster tank w/ kreem liner
-caddy taillight
-spring seat
-bobber headlight
-textured black paint
-copper chrome paint

prolly missed alot of other stuff so just ask if you wanna know! now onto the pictures! :thumbsup:

v6lunt.jpg

2hxa98j.jpg

I will have to get better pictures for you guys when I can. I just got it running last weekend. Running kind of rich so I will need to tune it a little bit better. I do have a video too so I will have to get that up also. Its extremely loud! Thanks for looking

Welcome bro! Hell yeah, the bike is looking awesome! I love the way you tackled the two vertical rails at the back of the frame, and changed to a single backbone! Good work!

Where at are you in Indiana? There are quite a few members in this "general" area...

I dont know what happend but this thread got posted twice and this one doesnt have all the photos. Is there anyway to delete this one?

hardtail77 I am in Greenwood, IN so pretty much indianapolis. Right now though im in PA lol

I dont know what happend but this thread got posted twice and this one doesnt have all the photos. Is there anyway to delete this one?

hardtail77 I am in Greenwood, IN so pretty much indianapolis. Right now though im in PA lol
PM Travis, and he should be able to maybe "marry" the two threads.

Indy area, huh? Hell, I'm not too far away from you...I live in Jeffersonville....just across the bridge from Louisville, KY. I'm up in Indy a few times a year at least. My girl used to live there and we go visit friends up there. We usually stay around Broad Ripple.

Ya I've been in broad ripple. They have a yogurt shop that my family is addicted to (Red mango). But anyway this summer we should try to get the other 400 riders and go for a ride somewhere in indy. Around my area there is the "Suds" car show maybe your familiar with it? Its a car show that is every saturday in the Greenwood area. After the sun goes down it migrates to indianapolis and is a great ride to see cool cars, bikes, and the downtown area.

Ya I've been in broad ripple. They have a yogurt shop that my family is addicted to (Red mango). But anyway this summer we should try to get the other 400 riders and go for a ride somewhere in indy. Around my area there is the "Suds" car show maybe your familiar with it? Its a car show that is every saturday in the Greenwood area. After the sun goes down it migrates to indianapolis and is a great ride to see cool cars, bikes, and the downtown area.
Yeah, there's a bunch of us that are trying to get a ride together around the Evansville area this June. Right now, there are even riders coming from Illinois and Michigan as well...you should join man! Check out the thread about the ride in the garage section...

that kicker pedal is nice. i actually saw the clost up of the single backbone on google when i was brainstorming on how to do mine. came out really nice. how much stretch is there on that bike? 5 inch?

crap im gonna have to change my name to bobberdan now. i want one.... that thing is very nice!

Thanks guys it's been about a year now since the start of the build. Once it's running perfect I will make a better video

I noticed that you have "slide" carbs in the next to the last pic,instead of the BS34s in the earlier pics.I am trying that idea on mine with a "homemade"manifold,as the carbs are smaller,but will pull through both at the same time,thus making up for the size.Great bike! lha

Back