Can I use this battery?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
local craigslist battery - supposedly brand new for sale model YTZ10S only $50. The Yuasa chart says not compatible. Yuasa Dimensions are 6 x 3 7/16 x 3 11/16. IF I can make it fit, ( might be 1/2 " too long) is there any reason not to use it?

The stock sized 12Ah battery is a tight fit. I doubt you'd get a battery that is larger in any dimension to fit. Smaller batteries can be made to fit with rubber or high density foam to keep it from rattling.

$50 is what I paid for the correct battery.

Thanks. Since we have no kick starter, I thought I needed to get a better AGM or sealed battery.

My battery now seems ok, but have no idea how old it is and the terminals are a bit rusty.
I like to save penneys wherever I can. Would you recommend Wally World and a trickle charger?

All batteries will eventually fail. As long as you keep the electrolyte topped up with distilled water, the terminals and case are clean, and your charging system is working correctly, you should get 2 - 4 years of service from your average Lead Acid battery.

An AGM is maintenance free, vibration resistant, and arguably more reliable, but is it worth the additional expense? Only you can answer that. Our charging systems are not refined enough to deal with Lithium batteries, so they aren't an option in my opinion.

I only put my battery on a tender during the winter, when it is being stored inside. Even then, I only have to "top up" the battery once or twice in the 3 - 4 months it is being stored. When the ignition key is turned off, there is nothing drawing on the battery. No clock, computer, alarm system, etc, so leaving the bike for a week or 3 shouldn't be a problem.

If fitment Is the only issue the battery box can be modified or custom made to accmidate it.This has been done many times from guys here with their builds.I paid $35 for battery last year but its the lead acid type and fit directly in my battery compartment.Your battery post are lead so they wont rust.The ends of your battery cables and the bolts and nuts that hold them to the battery is the source of rusting.

Back