Can oil seal behind sprocket be replaced ?

Philodoxo

without technical skills
Reaction score
Hi

Have been looking for help in forum, but can't find it - possibly because of my poor english.

My XS400 is leaking oil - quite a lot. I think the it's coming fra the oil seal behind the sprocket.

Can I replaced that oil seal without taking the entire engine apart ?

If I have to take the engine apart, I thank volcomskater 77 very much for this guide : http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4843 :thumbsup:

Finally found the source of the oilleak. Actually i found 2.

Oil came from the buttom of the engine, and I found a crack along the oildrain-plug :( Fortunately i have a spare enigne. (actually it comes from a bike imported from Canada - you don't see that every day i Denmark)
So i am going to replace the button of my engine - using this fabulouse guide: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4843. Thank You volcomskater77 !

Oil also came from the cover, where the circuit boards are placed. (circuit boards... is that really the name of the two things, that open and close when the engine needs sparkplugs to ignite ?) And i found a crack in the cylinder head too :wtf: Fortuneately I renovated the cylinder head of my spare engine last winter...due to boredom. :D

So hopefully i will be running free of oildripping, when spring arrives. :bike: (In Denmark insurance does not allow us to ride the bikes fra 15. of november to 15. of march.) Anyway its to damn cold.

I'll be back with fotos.

Finally found the source of the oilleak. Actually i found 2.

(In Denmark insurance does not allow us to ride the bikes fra 15. of november to 15. of march.) Anyway its to damn cold.

what, no ridey bikey? hate being told what to do even if I choose not to ride in winter :mad:

I totally agree ! But I still haven't found an insurancecompany, that does not insist on no driven during the winter. :( And Denmark is no colder that northern UK.....

We can ride year round here in the u.s. Even if it is below zero. Coldest I have rode (10 miles) the xs400 was 20F not a lot of fun be just to say I did it:laugh:

I totally agree ! But I still haven't found an insurancecompany, that does not insist on no driven during the winter. :( And Denmark is no colder that northern UK.....
In Canada, the insurance companies INSIST that you buy coverage for a full 12 months. Gone are the good old days when you could save money by volunteering to insure it only for 8 or 9 months and benefit from pro-rating. I wonder which insurance trend will prevail?

As to your oil leak on the lower part around the drain plug, I had success getting a cracked oil filter cover welded by an aluminum welder. It was difficult getting a 100% smooth surface because welding the casting allows for small imperfections to persist. In my case, going to a very slightly thicker O-ring made for a perfect seal and the part was saved. You may want to consider trying for a repair (depending where the crack is) so you can still have a spare engine. Don't just sell it as scrap metal until you think about it anyway.

we can insure monthly now, this costs a fortune but if you want to borrow a car for a bit, it helps keep within the law.

We have continuous insurance in the UK, where as you either insure it or declare it SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). vehicle can get crushed if neither is in force

Bottom of the engine has been replaced :thumbsup:

Nasty crack along the oil drain plug.
full

Lovely to see my engine together again.
full

but all the leaking oil has made a mess.

Now I will spend the rest of my christmas-vacation replacering the cylinderhead :(

Changing the cylinderhead, because I found a crack........ But that crack only connects to a bolthole - not to a place, where there is oilpressure ?:wtf:

full

Well - I'll change it anyway, and give it a new oilseal at the camshaft. Hope that will solve my oilleak-problem.

Ohhh - I was not aware..... they do not match anymore. :yikes:

I thought I was smart to reuse the camcover, and only change the cylinder head - that way ajusting the valves could be easilier. :doh: I have reused the camshaft from the old cylinderhead. The other camshaft looks more used.

The two cam covers look exactly alike, and I thought :banghead: ...... So I am to replace the cam cover to ?:confused:

yep, they are machined together to get the right clearance.

I have used 2 mismatched covers before but they were very close in numbers and I changed them when i got a NOS set.

camshaft will be fine as they were all the same, just use the less worn one.

Okay. Thanks a lot !!!

I'll pull of the cam cover and use the matching one.

Just a picture of the engine - 2 minutes before taking of camcover again !

full

Hey - perhaps this is the cause of my oilleak.

Look at the picture below of the two cam covers. The "old" one has some homemade plugs in the hole to the stick, that holds the rocker arm.

full

Just found the rubberplugs for the "new one". That could help solving my oil leak challenge.

My goodness I am learning a lot. It's quite clear I'm new to this and has the brain of an officeworking idiot :( Think I'll start laughing at all the lawyers jokes... they seem to be true :)

we can insure monthly now, this costs a fortune but if you want to borrow a car for a bit, it helps keep within the law.

We have continuous insurance in the UK, where as you either insure it or declare it SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). vehicle can get crushed if neither is in force

Dam they arent very strict about it are they?Here in Michigan you have to get a special motorcycle license with endorsements and have insurance.If you get caught riding without it the worst they can do is confiscate the bike and impound it.If you get everything legal within 15 days or less you pay the impoundment fee and get your bike back.As for insurance you can go every 6 months

Last edited:
Back