Can someone help me establish which of these is most like the original 1980 XS 400 Handlebars?

Johnny3D

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to replace my handlebars. I'd like to go with as close to original as possible. I found these handlebars on MikesXS (bottom of the page). I think the Virago Type is the closest to original (although out of stock) and the XS650 "Special" Pullback Type is very similar but a little "taller" perhaps?

None of the others I saw on there are much like the original handlebars at all from what I can tell. And help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

The virago is close but still wider than stock. Have you tried ebay? I got a set off an 81-82 sr185-250 that was very close that I put on my 80.

Grey bike has the sr bars. They are a bit wider with a little less pull back.

DSC03131.JPG DSC03132.JPG DSC03133.JPG

Last edited:
Haven't checked ebay yet. There's a guy in the classified section on here who has a couple sets he says are in pretty good shape that I'm inquiring about though. Not sure I would mind a little wider. Someone who owned my XS400 before me dumped it over on its right side, bending the handlebar and right brake lever (along with a couple dents in the tank) and a slightly bent foot brake pedal. Just trying to get the whole thing fixed up and ready to ride for this summer. :)

If you're interested I do have a set from my 80 parts bike. I think they're in good shape with little if any rust. Send me a PM if you're interested & we'll figure out shipping to you.

The stock bars you posted on your thread looked fine. What's bent on them.

Yeah I might be able to bend them back. The right side is bent down, or closed, a bit. You can't see it from the picture. I am going to try to manipulate them slowly with a tie down strap and a long piece of wood.

The XS650 Special bars are high. They are also narrow. Feels like your elbows will poke you in the ribs while turning.
Most who have the XS650 specials take them off and put on lower wider bars.
I have a set of Mini bike bars on the 83 I have. A set of ATV bars on the 75.
Leo

A lot of people have these type bars adjusted much too low. The xs650 "buck horn" are larger and more "horn" like than the xs400. If you like an upright riding position the stock 80-82 sohc bars work very well. I have put many thousands of mile on them type. The earlier 77-79 xs400 and 76-77 xs360 "lower" bars will give you a more lean over "race/cafe" feel. My back and neck hurt after long rides. My 79 has them and for short rides it's ok but I prefer to sit upright and lean back a little.
DSC03666.JPG DSC03667.JPG

Considering I might not be even riding the bike much I will leave them as is. Try to straighten the ones I have or eventually get a replacement handlebar.

Good nice 80-82 stock xs400 bars are not easy to find as most people toss them out. I have done this in the past also now with great regret.

Back