1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Carb drain screws? Feeling Defeated today..Story time!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by short1, Jun 15, 2018.

1. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

My bike has been in different stages of assembly and disassembly since I bought it and tore it apart 3 years ago, I've recently been grinding at it to finally get it together...it's been a lot of hmm, where is this thing, or what should go heres. It's still got a ways before it's road worthy, brakes and a dozen other little things, but I thought I was going to finally fire it today. Pulled out the carbs that have been sitting in a box for 2 years completely cleaned, rebuilt and rejetted, and installed them. Threw some new gas in the tank along with a new fuel line and filter. I do a quick once over and I'm getting excited as I give the petcock a twist and watch the filter fill with that liquid gold...only to watch it immediately drain out of the bottom of the carburetors I have no idea where or why I would've put those drain screws anywhere but with the carbs. Turns out they're not readily available (of course) and it would be almost $30 for them with o-rings from the local cycle shop. That's like 10% of the value of the bike itself! Soo I've been searching and can't find anything cheaper.. does anyone know of a place to find them cheap or if i could grab some meant for a different bike? Really I'm open to any suggestions that don't involve 30 bucks for 2 tiny pieces of brassit's an '81 sohc, I believe BS34 carbs?

2. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C

Some parts will cost that much even though they are very simple.. Just remember this, you dont buy a cheap old motorcycle to save money..

https://www.ebay.com/i/152032149213?chn=ps

That seller also sells a bunch of other stuff. Ive made quite a few purchases from him/her over the last couple years.

3. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

Haha very true, this thing is nickle and diming me to death. I saw those on ebay but it says it wouldn't fit my bike. I know there are a couple different ones between the years so wasn't sure of them.

4. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

5. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend

You should only really need the o-rings. Unless your screws are stripped.

6. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

My screws are gone! lol

7. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

Ended up ordering the screws from mikesxs, it lists them as for a xs650 but the oem part numbers match. That ebay seller said they couldn't tell me whether theirs would work or not.

BBS360 likes this.
  8. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

The ones listed for the xs650 from mikesxs fit perfect

9. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie

Good to hear at least now someone else will know what to order.

Petew likes this.