Carb/Exhaust issues

Attachments

• DSC02146.jpg
    DSC02146.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 245
  • user3160_pic3840_1368965492.jpg
    user3160_pic3840_1368965492.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 259
I have a set of them:) http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-0033.html The filter material is not cotton, sure you can oil them but it wont stick to the filter. The real ones will absorb the oil changing the filter from a light gray to red:) I have run both and there is a big difference between them. The xs ones are better than the emgo type deals but if you can spend the money and plan on owning your bike for a while and having it run at its best go uni or K&N :twocents:

Attachments

• DSC02147.jpg
    DSC02147.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 245
:laugh: Nope Sorry Scorpio, You have to go and Dip your keyboard, I think your keyboard is beyond the Lemon juice !

Update:

I finally got through most of the things on my checklist. Started by adjusting the valves. They were in pretty good shape. I changed my floats and float needle assemblies. No more gas coming out of the air intake:thumbsup:. I took the rubber piece off the intakes, cut off the rubber lip, and JBWelded them back to the actual filter part. So far so good:thumbsup: Changed out the exhaust ringsbetween the engine and the pipe and put some quicksteel around the slip-on pipe connections. No more exhaust leak.:thumbsup: Bike started right up and idles pretty well. But I do have a few cobwebs to work out still.

First I used the choke to start but I didn't have to hold it at all. I remember reading that you want to be able to hold the choke for about 15-30 seconds before it will run on it's own. Also, pulling away from a stop, it spits and sputters at low rpm. Its fine if I start off at high rpm. I still haven't shaken that problem with the high idle. At the moment, I have to slow down almost to a stop with the clutch out in order to get the engine to come down to idle. Otherwise, it just stays at an extremely high rpm. Lastly, I have blueing on both pipes coming out of the engine, more so on the right side. That seems like an indication that I'm running hot. So you think it's the engine running lean or maybe because my muffler is stuffed with stainless scrubbing pads? Also, I have a small backfire when I shut the engine off.

My carbs have been cleaned. I have the floats at 26mm. I set the mix at 3 turns (one turn is 360 degrees, right?) I'm not sure where my jets are at. I synced the carbs before I changed the floats. Could probably stand to sync them again. Thoughts?

How much pressure is coming out of the ends of your pipes?To many pads and it could be block the exhaust flow.Also check and make sure the flow of exhaust is even on both sides.

Yes, one turn is 360 degrees, I will turn them down, ((CAREFULLY)) Mark it with a pen or marker, and then count up from their.

How much pressure is coming out of the ends of your pipes?To many pads and it could be block the exhaust flow.Also check and make sure the flow of exhaust is even on both sides.

How would I go about checking pressure?:confused: I explained exactly what I did in a previous post on this thread.

Yes, one turn is 360 degrees, I will turn them down, ((CAREFULLY)) Mark it with a pen or marker, and then count up from their.

Thanks. I was 99% sure that I was asking a really stupid question but it just seemed like that mix screw was coming out farther than I thought it should.

I would check your pilot jet size. With pods I would go at least 45. If you have not taken out the pilot jets or mains then you have not fully cleaned the carbs:wink2: I would remove all of them including the needle jets and make sure all of the little holes are clean and open.

I would check your pilot jet size. With pods I would go at least 45. If you have not taken out the pilot jets or mains then you have not fully cleaned the carbs:wink2: I would remove all of them including the needle jets and make sure all of the little holes are clean and open.

I took them out when I boiled the carbs. I just never looked to see what size they were. I assume they are the stock size but I really don't know. I did clean them an pushed wire through all the jet holes.

When you boiled them did you remove the butterfly seals at the ends of the shafts? If not you may have destroyed them and your now pulling air from around them. Also when you had them ALL apart did you put high compressed air through all the holes in the carbs? It's the only way to get all the crap out of them.

Rubgby You use your hands at the end of the pipes to feel if you have strong or even exhaust pressure coming out of your pipes.If the pressure feels weak I would take and remove some of the scrubbing pads.Or take them out and use a small piece of pipe in the center of your exhaust then pack the scrubbing pads around them.Your also going to want to drill holes in the piece of pipe.

When you boiled them did you remove the butterfly seals at the ends of the shafts? If not you may have destroyed them and your now pulling air from around them. Also when you had them ALL apart did you put high compressed air through all the holes in the carbs? It's the only way to get all the crap out of them.

Not sure what those are. Could you give me a pic? Having said that, probably not. And yes, I did blow air through it.

Rubgby You use your hands at the end of the pipes to feel if you have strong or even exhaust pressure coming out of your pipes.If the pressure feels weak I would take and remove some of the scrubbing pads.Or take them out and use a small piece of pipe in the center of your exhaust then pack the scrubbing pads around them.Your also going to want to drill holes in the piece of pipe.

There is a 1" diameter baffle in the center of the pipe. I Closed of the end of the baffle with a washer to force the exhaust through the scrubbers and holes of the baffle. I was able to blow through the pipes before I put them back on pretty easily. I did put my hand over them and it seems to have plenty of air coming through them.

Last edited:
There is 1 at each ends of the shaft. People almost never remove them went they boil carbs and wreck them:doh: A ultra sonic cleaner is ok but on a hot stove no. It's good you used compressed air there is nothing better to free up crud than 150 psi of air:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC02168.jpg
    DSC02168.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC02167.jpg
    DSC02167.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC02169.jpg
    DSC02169.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 255
Sorry I don't have any extra seals. I have used most of mine rebuilding carbs over the last month. I think mikes xs has them.

Also when I put the mix screws in, I didn't have the old order of things to go off of. From the head of the needle I put on the o-ring, then the spring, followed by the washer. is this correct?

Back