Carb Fun?

87cody

87cody
Reaction score
I recently finished (well got to a ridable point) my xs400 hardtail and I am having carb issues. It will usually fire up in one to three kicks with the choke fully engaged and as it is warming the idle steadily climbs. When I disengage the choke it nearly dies without some throttle and has to be very warm to steadily idle. I have rebuilt the engine, new rings, pistons, etc. I also sent the carbs to a fellow xs400.com member to have them rebuilt and he told me he jetted it up one size to compensate for the pod filters and short pipes (with small internal baffles) I am running. After the bike warms up sometimes the idle climbs to about 5k rpm and just sits there for a minuite I have also noticed this while riding. It is almost as though the throttle is stuck but it is definately not. I have adjusted the idle mix screws and the carb boots are brand new. What should I try next? Could this be a float issue? Also the plugs are damp and black so I know it is running rich. What is confusing to me is why it seems to run better with the choke on which restricts the air flow? If it is rich, using the choke should bog it more as it would be richening the fuel mixture even more

sounds like the pilots are running lean.

choke is not a choke per se but an enrichment device

plugs are black cause you had choke on

I apologize for my ignorance on this but these damnned carbs have been the biggest nightmare of the build. Half tempted to make an intake and throw some amal's on there like my Triumph

Back