Christian lee

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
i recently picked up an 82 xs400 that hadn’t been run in over a year. I got it running, got rid of the bad gas, and cleaned the carb. Even after cleaning the carb, the left side carb is still flooding causing it to hesitate and leak gas out of the air intake. Any suggestion?

I assume your petcock checks out good. I.e. when it isn't plugged into the carb it doesn't leak when on res and on.,

Examine all the rubber in the carb on the left side and check for any rubber that needs to be replaced. Specifically around the float valve seat. Check the float needle for any wear what so ever. If there are any rings on the float needle where it meets with the float seat then it should be replaced. Also, make sure your float heights are set properly. If all that checks out then test the left float and verify there are no holes in it. I never have done this but as I understand you can place the float into a glass of water in various positions to see if the float takes on water. You can probably google the forums for this.

Back