Carb rebuild kit for 77-78 XS250

norrie

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have just bought a 77-78 XS250 (square tank) and have taken to my mechanic who said he'll work on it if I find the parts. I need carb rebuild kits with gaskets, needles, seats and o-rings and also intake manifold rubbers and gaskets. Also need a set of decent pod filters. I was of the understanding that the XS250 and 400 were the same bike bar the top end of the engine but when I asked an eBay seller if the kits they had for a 77 400 would fit the 250, they said no. Can someone please point me to the parts I need? I don't want to buy stuff, wait 2 weeks for it to arrive in Australia and discover they're wrong. Below are the ones I asked about. Now I'm not so sure about the intake manifold rubbers either. My carb air intakes are 48mm. Are the 400s a different size and a completely different carb? Thanks!!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131547738668?sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext&ext=34391&exe=13453&euid=64c6233f97814efc83f1e31a64e6d2c3&_mwBanner=1

Last edited:
Here's a pic of it.

ebay_331734766042_1.jpg

Hey mate nice bike. You can just reuse your current jets and float bowl gaskets. Just give the carbs and jets a good clean, spec the floats and put them back together. Also its the carbs boots that are the same not the carb kits. If you need individual jets i have a contact in melbs who can help you

Thanks mate. I'm clueless and just trying to fumble my way. It's all new to me. Good to know I ordered the right boots then. I've been researching all day and finally found that the gaskets are totally different and actually like the 76-77 xs360 gasket. Maybe the mechanic gave me a list of stuff just in case something is shot when he opens them up. Good to know regarding your jet guy. Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it!

Hey mate nice bike. You can just reuse your current jets and float bowl gaskets. Just give the carbs and jets a good clean, spec the floats and put them back together. Also its the carbs boots that are the same not the carb kits. If you need individual jets i have a contact in melbs who can help you
Actually, could you please shoot me the details for your jets contact? With pods and exhaust, my mechanic might want to up the jets slightly and a local contact would be great. Thanks!

Hi guys. Sorry to hijack this a little. But I'm also after a rebuild kit for the bs32's fitted to the 78 xs250, I can't find anywhere and I contacted the company "greasy fingers" suggested but unfortunately they don't have and can't get them either. If I can't find a kit I'll be forced to buy whole new aftermarket carbs, if that's the case does anyone know what's a good easy to install and reasonably priced set? It will be running pods and has straight through pipes.

Elliott if that is all that is wrong with your carbs I have spare idle mixture screws, pm me your address ill post one to you :) Shine a torch into the idle mixture screw holes and make sure you don't have a tip broken off in there too.

Anything else wrong with your carbs? like I said before you can reuse your gaskets and everything else after giving them a good clean, that's what I did and they were fine. If you need to upsize the jets just buy them on they're own.

Norrie, I just reused my original float valves and seats.

Btw if this helps, I'm pretty sure the xs250 and xs360 carbs are almost identical. I have both carbs and examined them side by side. The only difference I can see is obviously jet sizes, and the size of the butterflys. Even the idle screws and diaprams are the same. Same float valves and seats, same floats and probs same float bowl gaskets but I really didn't check them I was mainly looking at internals. So you could search for a 360 kit perhaps?

Oh yeah I think a certain year xs750 or xs1100 runs the same carbs as the xs360. Chris can definatly confirm this. So another option is to find a carb kit from that bike, but you would need to find smaller jets. If chris doesn't drop in on this thread to confirm, just pm him he is very helpful.

Attachments

• P1060287.jpg
    P1060287.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
The 76-77 xs750 carbs used the same floats, diaphrams, gaskets, needle jet o-ring, idle mix screws, choke parts and pilot jets as the 76-77 xs360 bs34 carbs. The jet needle and needle jet, butterfly valve and main jet size are not the same.

Guys, I've got issues. I did a sh!tload of research and today when my mechanic pulled my carbs apart, none of the parts I got (gaskets, float needles, seats, intake manifold rubbers) for the 250 carbs fitted. Looking at the gaskets, it looks like someone has dropped carbs off an XS400 onto this 250. We can get by with the parts there already apart from the intake manifold boots. I sourced some for a 400 on eBay which the seller claimed are fine for my 250 but of course they're not. I need some that are 38mm on the carb end. Can anyone set me straight on this so I can get the right intake manifold rubbers this time? Ta!

If the carbs you have are off a 77-78 sohc xs400 then thost are the parts you need to look for. Mikesxs has stuff also ebay. Post some pics of the carbs so we can see what you have. The xs250 came with 32mm carbs so your jetting/settings will be different.

Back