Carbs are missing bottom mounting bar

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
I did some work on the carbs today.

There was still some dirt/gunk in some of the passageways in the carb bowls so I soaked them for 1 hour in the ultrasonic cleaner with boiling water and lemon juice. Even after all the cleaning I had done previously, I was amazed at how dirty the water was afterwards. And yes, I have been using a fuel filter between the tank and the carbs. I also installed new jets as I had gone waaaaaaaay too big on the jets. My BS32 carbs now have 22.5 pilots and 122.5 mains and floats are set at 26mm. I haven't re-installed the carbs yet but hopefully these jets will improve things considerably.

I also just realised that I am missing the bottom mount bar that holds the carbs together (item 73 in the Haynes carburettor diagram). Is this important and if so should I make one out of angled aluminium or steel?

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG1799.jpg
    IMAG1799.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 78
Yes you need that bar it keeps the butterfly valves aligned proper. Did you remove the butterfly seals and needle jet o-rings before boiling/soaking them?

Yes you need that bar it keeps the butterfly valves aligned proper. Did you remove the butterfly seals and needle jet o-rings before boiling/soaking them?
This has been a common response to carb soaks lately, and has me worrying about my carb cleaning job.
Will the replacement butterfly seals on MikesXS fit Pork Chop's BS32 and/or my XS360's BS34?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I only cleaned the bowls this time. I had already given the carbs a thorough cleaning after complete disassembly but had been slack with the bowls.

Posted via Mobile

This has been a common response to carb soaks lately, and has me worrying about my carb cleaning job.
Will the replacement butterfly seals on MikesXS fit Pork Chop's BS32 and/or my XS360's BS34?

I know they will work for the bs34" on the xs360. Not sure the bs32 had the same diameter shaft tho. I would imagine it does but I have never had a set to see.

Back