Central stand

overpl

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a problem witch central stand - both wheels stay on the ground:/ reason??:/

maybe it's broken somewhere? have you tried taking it off and inspecting it? I know a lot of people have had to weld theirs back together.. If you take it off you'll also be able to see if it's bent in any way, and bend it back :)

I havn't - mostly because its hard to take it of without having it suspended in the air ;D
And honestly - I don't know how supposed to look str8 one, so I don't know if I will manage to tell if its bent or sth else is wrong

well if it's not, it should be working fine. It can only be three things causing the wheels to stay on the ground:

- your center stand is bent/broken/made smaller by someone
- you're putting your center stand into a hole in the ground (floor is not level or you're trying to put it on soft dirt, but you're probably not that stupid)
- your frame is sitting higher (longer shocks installed or modded frame)

frame is original i guess, wheels 18'' - stock, suspension.. well, it have central and fork shock abs. so there is nothing wrong with them, and they are stock - so I think center stand is the problem:/ But when I look at it it seems to be allright.

Ok will do it 2morow - I'll be fixing master cylinder and putting new seals on brake piston + maybe installing gear indicator:) so meantime I'll take few pics of stand:)

You mention having 18" wheels front and back and that you have a Maxim.
It sounds to me like a previous owner replaced the stock Maxim wheels with Seca wheels. The Seca used 18" front and rear. Maxims, at least over here, use a 19" front tire and a 16" rear.
Not sure if that is enough of a diameter increase to cause the rear wheel to touch but it surely contributes. Try putting a board under the rear stand's 2 legs so that the stand is higher than the floor below the wheel.

Lou - I never said I have Maxim:) In my signature you have my bike - Its XS 400 DOHC 12E - they have stock 18''s :)
I know that I can put sth under stand but this is a temporary solution:/

Lou - I never said I have Maxim:) In my signature you have my bike - Its XS 400 DOHC 12E - they have stock 18''s :)
I know that I can put sth under stand but this is a temporary solution:/
I thought I had remembered it from one of your earlier posts - turns out you were talking about Maxxis tires. I'm #2 on the "old guys rule" competition so I consider that I remembered pretty well ... considering .. :wink2:

I know the board would be a temporary solution, but it might also allow for a photo which could help us to see if your stand is bent compared to ours. Just a thought.

So I've took some photos - I don't know if anyone can recognize if its bent or whatever - let me know:)

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 287
hard to tell from these pics. I'll have a look at what mine looks like later. I have the feeling it might be the piece that's horizontal at the ground,the piece you put your foot onto which is maybe not right

I'll look forward - maybe someone else also will compare those photos to their stand?

I can't see real well, but it doesn't look like you've got the stand all the way up. Off the bike, pull your bike back and up when pushing the stand forward with your foot. You have to physically pick the back end up off the ground so that the center stand rotates forward and locks into place due the the weight of the bike.

I know how to put my bike on center stand:) So its not like I'm doing sth wrong. My guess is either attachment is wrong or worn out, or the stand is bent - but i don't know if I will know when I disassemble the stand.

Now that you brought that up, What was the technic of the "one handed system?" or was it the really easy way of doing that?

Overpl, I took some photos of my SOHC. guess its not the same of yours, but what the heck.
Tobie

Attachments

• GEDC0378.jpg
    GEDC0378.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 329
  • GEDC0379.jpg
    GEDC0379.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 287
  • GEDC0380.jpg
    GEDC0380.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 324
  • GEDC0381.jpg
    GEDC0381.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 314
Here's the only pic I have of mine. I will try and get some others but my bike is not with me for a few days.
I could be wrong, but from this angle, mine seems to be resting at a more upright angle. It wouldn't take much of a bend in the stand or the thing it stops against at the top, to make a noticeable change in the angle it rests at - thus lowering it several cms. Take a look at yours from the same angle.
When I go down to pick up mine, I will try and take a photo from the same angle you did too.

Attachments

• Centre stand.JPG
    Centre stand.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 305
I dont have the same bike but it looks like the stand is leaning to far towards the front of the bike, im wondering if maybe the stop is bent or broken?

Back