Chain makes snapping noise

smealy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I recently finished rebuilding my engine with success and took her for a ride aprx 15 miles. Things seamed alright except i noticed the chain was quite a bit loose. Chain tension was correct before, I suppose it took a ride for everything to seat.

I tightened it up ('bout 1.5 turns each side) to reach 1/4" movement at the tightest point. Thing is - loud clicking or snapping sound at one point in the chain as it enters (or leaves if wheel is spinning backwards) the front sprocket. It has increased resistance at this point too. It is not the master link that snaps.

It certainly doesn't feel (or sound) right. I'm wondering if I should have retained the original direction of travel, and perhaps I installed it reverse.

Things I did to the chain: Scrubbed with simple green, coated in oil, stored in ziploc for aprx 6 months, reinstalled with chain clip closed end facing forward, lubed after install.

Any ideas? I hope I don't need a chain replacement - that means sprockets too!

You can replace the chain without replacing the sprockets. You can get chains pretty cheap on ebay, how old is your chain? If the teeth on the sprockets are good then leave em on there:thumbsup:

Oh yea? Maybe i'll just do that to be safe. Pretty nasty ramifications if she decides to snap while cruising. :yikes:

I'm still stuck wondering what caused this - considering if was fine before removal :umm:

yea i going for 1/4" slack when the chain is the tightest. That's another wierd thing.... the tightest spot in the chain is not when the snapping occurs

I took some time and played around with the chain. Modified alignment and tension, and I was always noticing a spot in the chain where it would hang up on the front sprocket. I marked the defective link with a scratch, and removed the chain. I thought working it back and forth with some lube might solve the prob, so i put it back on (without securing master link) and ran the wheel around again. click......click....clii...stop. :mad:

Ok no dice.

Remove chain agian, flip it around, and reinstall. Spin the wheel around and..... Success! No clicking!:D

I may want to order a new chain, considering it's worn enough that it only likes to be installed one way. For now I'm happy to be on the road. Unfortunaltey I have a couple hundred "break-in" miles before I really get on 'er :wink2:

Hope this helps someone!

Remove chain agian, flip it around, and reinstall. Spin the wheel around and..... Success! No clicking!:D
Hope this helps someone!
Maybe you have discovered a brilliant way to get more mileage out of a chain.
If not, maybe by de-linking then reversing a chain at the half-way point, it could be a way to get better overall performance from a chain over the same chain life?
Good idea or too good to be true? If latter, then I won't bother starting up my turn-lead-into-gold project again.

Just to clarify... I flipped the entire chain, not just a link. I assume the chain is now in the original directionof travel because I did not notice any issue before initial removal. Only after first install

Hit my buddy in the back shoulder, flew ahead and slid 50 meters. He was running no chain guard. Other than that I would imagine it could lock up the front sprocket, or even the rear wheel while riding. Although unlikely, it's pretty dangerous

Out of curiosity, what kind of damage can a snapped chain cause?Posted via Mobile
I was strongly urged to replace the chain on my old sr250 before I sold it this spring and was regaled with stories of:
  1. the chain snapping, catching in the frame and breaking tranny teeth,
  2. the chain snapping, catching in the rear sprocket and the frame, instantly locking the rear wheel sending the bike into an uncontrolled skid and crash.
I figured, for $30 it was worth it for peace of mind.
Then the bike drove and shifted SO much better with the new chain, I wish I had replaced it when I first bought it last fall. What a difference.

Tranny/gear damage is the biggest thing. Thats almost a whole tear down to reach the tranny gears. Also the chain just shreds,dents,scratches smashes anything near it when it throws.
I have heard sometime nothing happens, new chain and your good.
My kid threw a chain and it got stuck at the front sprocket /case and now second gear is damaged.

I just replaced my rear sprocket and chain today. piece of cake. I couldn't get the nut off the front sprocket even with a 4ft leverage bar.. so I left it on. the teeth were in great condition

...... Maybe I'll modify the sprocket to sprocket ratio too...
Out of curiosity, what model of xs400 do you have?
Lots of folks on here have changed the sprocket sizes so there will be lots of experience to tap if you need it. I would never have had the nerve to try it without their help.

I've always kept watch on my rear sprocket,and when it looks like there's a little bending of the teeth,I replace the chain,both sprockets to be safe. Nothing good can happen from a chain getting thrown. To clean the chain,I've always used kerosene in a small container,soak it overnight,shaking every once in a while,then hang it up on a wire to let it dry,then lube and use.

I replaced my chain a week ago to find I had an old chain with three too many links in it. Apparently my PO (older bro) wasn't too worried about the slack!

Our chains are supposed to be 530 width and 100 links long. Make sure it's to spec. Congrats on sussing out the noise and flipping it.

Back