1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dburrows6735, Oct 3, 2011.

1. dburrows6735

dburrows6735 XS400 Enthusiast

Anyone have any idea what size chain a 81' XS400 special II takes? Any recommendations on type, manufacturers or "O ring" or not.

Thanks

David

2. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

far as I'm aware all the xs's took a 530 chain. could be fouling issues with O ring as they are chunkier. OTT any way save your money for gas

3. dburrows6735

Is it a 104 link chain?

4. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

they can be as long as you want?

I get what I can and cut the links with an angle grinder

5. vfost

vfost XS400 Addict

When it comes to chains it can be very confusing! (atleast for me it seems it) try this

Hope it helps!

6. dburrows6735

What is the best chain brand to go with, from experience. Anyone got any thoughts?

7. vfost

vfost XS400 Addict

I bought mine from z1enterprises.com and it was an RK brand chain and i can say i have had any problems with it yet.

8. leedutcher

leedutcher xsive to the bone!!!

http://sidewindersprockets.com/smart_chain.html

what i used on all my chain driven bikes... looks great and works great. kinda of expensive but well worth it. on my cbr 900rr had it for 5 years never need to adjust the chain once and it was very gentle on my sprockets for how hard i have riden...

9. Daddio

Daddio XS400 Addict

This looks like a great 520 chain. So you use the Smart Chain II? What strength chain are you running on the 400?

10. leedutcher

leedutcher xsive to the bone!!!

i havent bought one for the 400 but i have used them in all my chain driven bikes. 900rr cbr f4, cb750, gs500, and got one for my dads shovelhead. power wise the gs500 was the smallest displacment bike till the i got the 400. probible the 7k or the 10k might be going with a higher teeth on the rear sprocket....dont know yet

11. K3ith

K3ith XS400 Enthusiast