Changing Key ignition to toggle switch ignition?

yamyam

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the key ignition on their bike and installed a toggle switch instead.

I understand the security issues of doing this I just wonder if its as easy as getting a three stage switch to accommodate OFF/ON/LOCK.

any insight into this would be fantastic, I have a '79 xs400

Hope your all having a great weekend!

cheers,
Peter

Yeh it should be just as easy as tracing the wires on the diagram and then wiring it on to a toggle switch but the "lock" function is not actually an electrical function. It is part of the ignition switch that when turned to that point sticks out a little steel bar that locks the handlebars at an angle. Now there is a "park" function that allows the handlebars to be locked while also allowing the tail light to remain on. A useless function I believe so I would just ignore it when changing to a toggle switch. If you don't mind me asking why would you Change it over to a switch anyways:shrug:

thats right "PARK" function not "lock", thanks for the correction. The reason for wanting to remove the stock key ignition is because I'm going with clip ons and mini gauges, I find the keyed ignition once the regular handlebars are removed and esp the stock gauges are removed sticks up so high and with the key in even higher. Im hoping for a cleaner look by removing the stock key ignition.

currently working out the wiring end of things to keep all 3 functions ( even though "park" is useless)

I'll keep you posted,
Thanks

Have you thought about taking an ignition switch off a sport bike that would normally use clipons. I guess it's just easier to a toggle switch.

Oddly, I've been considering this exact same mod... I was just going to put in a two stage switch, as I never really use the Park function anyway. It's either off, or about to be turned on.

has anyone used a toggle switch for the electronic start, im trying to clean up the bars and figured id make the start a toggle switch on the side or something. if not im gonna try it when i start my build

Back