Changing Wheel Bearings

smurfy71

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So the past couple rides I have heard a whining noise coming from the front end. I believe it is from the front tire and likely either the wheel bearing or the speed sensor. I have ordered new bearings, is there any tricks I should know for replacing them? Any special tools? Or is this pretty straight forward?

It could be the speed sensor, as my needle often jumps around. I have also determined that it is out. When it reads 80kph, I am actually doing 90kph. I have suspected for a while that it was wrong. I recently got a case for my iPhone that mounts on the handle bars and used a speedometer app to confirm it was wrong. So it's possible that this is the noise, but I figure the bearing could use replacement anyhow.

Hey, I see you're from Kingston, get out much around there? I'm from Shannonville but used to live in Kingston for a bit.

Anyways, freeze the new bearings over night to shrink them to make install easier.

Use the old bearings as a drift just make sure you don't drive the old bearing in too far or you may have a hard time getting it out. Sometimes a piece of PVC pipe the right size works better.

Try your best to knock the center spacer off to the side to get at the bearing to punch it out. If you have a torch you can heat up the hub which makes punching out the old bearings real easy.

Or if you're up for a road trip to Shannonville I'll help ya out :p

Last edited:
I'm actually in Odessa, but mainly just use the bike to commute to work and back.

Thanks for the info, I presume you mean to freeze the new bearings? Good idea, never would have thought of that.

I took it apart this morning, brake side bearing is in rough shape, speed sensor side seems ok, packed some grease in them and put it back together. This should hold me over until the new bearing arrive.
When I spin the wheel, there is noise coming from the speedometer, maybe the issue is in there. I greased the cable while I was at it, but that didn't seem to help.

I used a long 1/2 or 5/8 carriage bolt. Whatever fits tight and tap away. I didn't use heat. Some say to use a concrete red head, but I had no luck with it.

Back