Charging Issues SOLVED! Fixing a dead voltage regulator, or dead charging system.

Drewcifer

1976 XS 360 Maniac
Reaction score
So I have solved my charging system issues.

After adding positive voltage to my coil and seeing it produce awesome volts, I realized I had bad connections to my aftermarket regulator.

I used the r-292 from Oreilly, it functions as a solid state version of the circuit in our old voltage regulators.

But mine was connected with crimped bullets from Radio shack, and my connections weren't working. It wasn't until I removed the bullets and touched the wires directly that I got the volts I needed. so never trust in anything but SOLDER is what I learned.

The fix is actually super easy.

You can either hook up the wires from the R-292 to the connectors on your old regulator and reuse the socket, or do as I did and use solder so it never has an issue again.

Attachments

• magic volts and wiring.jpg
    magic volts and wiring.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • volts at rev.jpg
    volts at rev.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,436
  • how to fix regulator.jpg
    how to fix regulator.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 2,550
Last edited:
thank god for that, I thought I'd said in my rewire how to, never to use those crimped automotive connectors and buy a proper W crimper then solder!

Just to let everyone know the voltage regulators from the honda cb 350-550cc voltage regulators work as well.

Just put one on and works great. To wire it to our bikes is pretty simple:

I= Brown (power)

F= Green (field winding)

E= Black (ground)

Does this socket match the yamahas socket already? I know u said I could reuse the socket but I wasn't sure the wires were located properly for our bikes

Branson, What I did was take apart the female side of the socket that mates to the voltage regulator (the side that goes back into the wiring loom). I slid the prongs out of the plastic collar (press a mini flathead against them inside the collar, and press down the pressure tab, they should slide out once you flatten it), cut them off, prepped the wires and soldered directly to the r-292 after sliding on the heat shrink. After that I sealed it up and was good to go.

If you get a Honda Reg like Campbell you just make sure the right wires are matching up in the socket. I think they plug together but if not do the same procedure above, pull the prongs out of the honda socket and put them into your old yamaha socket and all will be well.

Nothing beats solder and heatshrink though.

Did you ever figure out how to test the coil outside the bike?

I'm about to do this tomorrow and wanna make sure I only have to do it once do I want to test the coil.

Yeah I found this diagram that showed you power the coil by using jumpers to the leads that fuel the coil, you press the sparkplug you left in one lead to the battery negative and then you jumper the negative or positive to the thingey and when you pull it away it sparks.

The test never really produced a robust spark, instead we had the coils dynamically tested at a bike place called Johnson and wood. Huge sparks produced, coils fine.

Lesson? It's never the coils. So far I've never seen a bad set.

Drewcifer

I have tried hooking up this r-292 voltage regulator and it didnt work at all, my old regulator was at least keeping the bike charged long enough to ride back and forth to work, with this new one installed the battery is dead within 15 min of riding, any clue what i may have done wrong?

296 will work. I suspect, but don't remember may be fine too, or its for the bikes with points. Get the pigtail for sure. It will make things easier

Hi i have a xs400 1982 engine fitted in a off road buggie but am struggling to get the charging shstem to work can any one help please
I have a set of 4 wires 3 yellow and 1 while for the outer winding
And another set from the inside winding green and brown
Where do these need to go
I also have a regulator rectfier with 3 yellow wires and 1 red 1 black that go to battery

This diagram has circled in Red (from previous post) the stator to Rec/VR. The three same colored wires should be mated with the Recitfier with the 3 same type of color wires (so 3 whites from Stator, to 3 yellow wires seems to be the way to consider it. The 4th wire is a wire from the VR (voltage reg) to turn on the magnet to power the stator, when the power is insignificant.)

Since this thread is a "Solved" problem thread, go to the garage, and create a new thread,

Attachments

• diagram markup.jpg
    diagram markup.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,394
Sounds like his reg/rectifier doesn't have the field coil wire.
Don't our bikes need reg/rec combo units with more than 5 wires to control the field coil?

And another set from the inside winding green and brown
Where do these need to go
I also have a regulator rectifier with 3 yellow wires and 1 red 1 black that go to battery
With me making assumptions, the green/brown wires, is your field coil, and needs to be attached to a Voltage regulator. I am using one from an automotive store(see post 10). I hope your rectifier is connected up something like the wire diagram? meaning that black is going to your wire harness...? (instead of just to the battery?)

Post 10 is/was when I replaced my VR. pick up the pigtail, it will save you from making connectors that might fail in future, or worse...

Alright, so even though this says it’s solved, I’m seeing an issue, maybe I’m just not getting it.

Brown is power to the field coil, green is ground.
The other 2 wires I’m assuming is the sense wire and a power wire for the module?

So how Im thinking this works is the field coil is powered all the time, so the yellow and orange wire are the sense wire and power for the unit r292, Black is ground. Since the green wire goes to the regulator, I’m assuming it regulates the field coil ground?

Last edited:
Nvm, think I figured it out. I’m creating my own harness from scratch, so you can see my issue.

-Yellow and orange to power
-Black to ground
-Green to power field coil
-Black wire from field coil goes to ground.

In case anyone else is doing the same down the road.

Would this work on a 1981 xs400 heritage special model H USA model? I can't get it to regulate voltage. It sends 20volts to the battery at 5000 rpm and goes down from there. Measured at the reg rec.... My battery dosent go over 14.5volts at 5000rpm, but should the battery supply from the regulator be sending that many volts? Please help me. I know this is an old thread and it says solved but I can't get an answer anywhere from anyone. I've been screwing with this for months now.

Back