chasing gremlins - engine/carb/??? issues

Are you testing with the spark plug cap on? It does sound like the coils are bad:( Also you need to test the secondary and primary on a different ohm setting.( maybe you missed that)

Edit: Thanks XSChtis! I forgot to change multi meter to 20k (doh!) Left is at 8.6k, right is at 8.1k, so they're good.

So TCI box maybe?

I did for fun check one coil with the plug able on and it was 16-17k. Is that normal, too high, too low? As I type I'm thinking I'll try the other, write it down and then maybe do a search on this reading...

Last edited:
Check the ohms of your caps. The should be 7-9k ohm if you are running non-resistor plugs. I find 5k ohms work well. So I use the iridium resistor plugs (5k ohm) with a non-resistor cap. Your primary numbers are still a bit high for a 80-82 bike. Should be 3.

UPDATE: checked the pick up coils just now: 683 and 677 each, so per the book within spec. That only leaves the TCI for components if it is ignition.

Assuming it isn't the TCI could it be spark plugs or cables or the resistance of all three together resulting in weak spark? I don't have super long cables... Just put in new NGK BP7ES Monday. But I have been thinking another possibility (remote but maybe) is a hotter burning plug with the jet setup that as showing rich. If it burned hotter it would combust better and shouldn't show rich (again, not really working from experience here so much as instinct)... thoughts?

I would put some new cables and caps(5 ohm) in it first. It is a cheap investment. Then the coils. 3ohm. If the TCI was bad I don't think you would have any spark.

Makes sense. Tested cables just now, 7.4k for left, 7.85k for right. Think I'll try your set up first and see how we do... then coils, etc...

It's one of those cables with the boot already on... brand new... could that be it? Same I've used for a while. .. maybe on to something. ..

Is it one of them screw on caps? Those have resistance built into them. Post some pics.

The wire you should have are a copper core wire. Are you using a RFI wire?

Pic forthcoming. They're from a kit for a four cylinder car. Got them from NAPA when I first got the bike and before I joined the forum. Changed them this last week for the other two in the box while trying to fix this...

Sounds like I need to get a different set up. Maybe there's too much resistance and it's damaging my coils. .. or at least causing weak spark...

Plug cable pic. I'm going to Google them too, but since they have resistance, and have a plug, and with both are within 7-9k, I don't know if this is the problem. I'll likely swap out anyway to the set up XSChris has since it's hotter burning and I think that will help regardless. ..

Attachments

• 20140503_155737.jpg
    20140503_155737.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 283
OK I'm going to get NGK BP7EIX copper core plugs and non resistor caps on new wire tomorrow. Hope this is it. Pretty simple fix if that's all. More tomorrow. ..

Auto wires are no good. You want 7mm copper core wire for bikes. Do you mean BPR7EIX plugs? That's what you want.

They are what I could get quickly when I needed them a year back (and before I had problems). And yes the BPR7EIX is what I have ordered. ..

Got new motorcycle spark plug cables (no resistance) and the NGK 5k ohm iridium plugs. Now running on both cylinders. Thank goodness.

Now, having through what I've been through, I will reserve my enthusiasm for end of the weeks riding. If it's still running good by Friday I will be stoked. I will keep you posted. Thanks guys for the help so far. ..

Back