Cheap headlight

Joel

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1982 XS400 Heritage Special. My main concern is getting it safetied and on the road before I start doing modifications. The high beam is burnt out and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for less than $90. I'm not sure what custom work I eventually want to do, so I don't want to spend too much on a bulb if it gets replaced in a year. Does anyone know where I can get one at a bargain?

Depends on what you mean by "not spend too much". Since the O.E. headlight is a sealed beam and a weird size, they are difficult to find. I bought one from Candlepower, Inc. here in the U.S. It is the correct size and an exact replacement except it is a reflector, not a sealed beam. This means you can replace the bulb (H4) when it burns out. You can buy with or without bulb. I use a SilverStar Ultra and it provides excellent road coverage. The only modification I had to make was to cut a small bit of metal from a flange so the bars molded into the glass were horizontal. No prob with a Dremel type tool and cutting wheel.

http://store.candlepower.com/638inhe.html

BTW, if you go the route of the new reflector and H4 bulb, there will be more amp drain on the charging system since the O.E. bulb is lower watts/amps. You can offset this by installing two LED stop/tail bulbs, which consume less than one amp. This addition basically cancels out the amp increase from the new style headlight bulb and is good for our minimal charging system.

I used the Candlepower H4 conversion on my '79. I bought a 35/35 watt bulb in anticipation that the 60/55 watt would cause charging problems, but I've ridden over 150 miles in a day with the 60/55 watt and had no problems.

Here are a couple of pics of the Candlepower headlight:

dsc01599vx.jpg

dsc01601gi.jpg

I had to get creative with the brackets and the headlight seems to be a couple of millimeters smaller than the original, but in the end it works well and looks good.

Yep, the charging system will allow use of the 55/60W bulbs but a little stress is removed from the system when you use the LED stop/tail bulbs. In addition, when you apply the brakes, there is no dimming of the headlight as you get with filament stop/tail bulbs. Of course, all this increases the bottom line in terms of total cost. I am really pleased with the beam pattern of the Candlepower reflector - it has a really good side-to-side spread as well as down-the-road projection. Using an H4 makes a great difference in night riding safety. While my son likes the better illumination of the H4 unit, he prefers the flat lens look of the old style headlight on his '81 XS400.

Back