checking/setting valve clearance

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
heyo guys, hope you are all well and enjoying yer bikes.
This may be explained somewhere on this forum but I was wondering if any one could give some tips on checking valve clearances on the xs400 1979.
I have a 'Haynes' manual and read threw it and got the jist of it but once the little inspection caps were off and followed the instuctions,using regular feeler gauges I could not get a good angle to measure the gap with a certain amount of confidence.No matter how I tried I could not get the feeler gauge to 'tight slip fit' at all. The angles were tough,maybe I used the wrong feeler gauges IDK.Probably a common rookie problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Last edited:
...and further more, how do I adjust the cam chain tensioner. From what I have read and seen, the tensioner needs to be adjusted first,then the valve lash, then points and timing, then carbs and carb synchs....yeah?
Previously I did things out of order adjusting timing,points, carbs but never adjusted cam chain or valves. The bike only has 3000 miles on it but sat for many years. i just want to be thorough and the 'haynes' manual is vague on cam chain adjustments.Thanks for any tips or advice you can offer.

'79 SOHC tensioners do not need to be adjusted, according to the factory manual. Here is what the factory manual says:

camchain.png

As far as tips for adjusting the valves, I use standard feeler gauges and bend the tip to an angle to fit the space. You could also buy 45 degree feelers. I choose my measurement, then set it to that measurement and check it by trying one size thinner to make sure those are too loose, and one size thicker to make sure it won't fit.

Last edited:
Also for the valve adjustment getting the engine to stay put at TDC without continuing to rotate can be a challenge. Here's how i rigged up mine to stay put.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 2,676
Also for the valve adjustment getting the engine to stay put at TDC without continuing to rotate can be a challenge. Here's how i rigged up mine to stay put.

That'll work. One of my 17mm wrenches is the perfect length to wedge against the foot peg, so that's what I do.

My tune up order is:
idle speed,
rough sync,
valves,
timing,
idle mixture,
final sync,
then recheck idle speed.

If you're totally clueless I would recommend surfing youtube for some videos of people adjusting similar valves. The procedure is pretty much the same on all bikes that do NOT use shims.

Most auto parts stores carry the feeler gauges. Make sure you write down the smallest size you need. All of the bent feeler gauges at the car stores didn't come in small enough sizes for use on the xs400, but they almost always carry a more complete flat set. If you have to get a flat set simply bend them yourself.

Somebody please help before i go throw my bike in the river or something bad.Do I have drain the oil out of my bike to adjust the valves or am I removing the wrong side plate for the crankshaft bolt so I can get the engine to TDC.What is the order of the exhaust and intake.Sorry about the tone of my question but im very frustarted with this dam bike.
Edit I was taking the right cover off I just got done doing an oil change now i have drain my oil to take the cover.:banghead::banghead::banghead::mad:

Ok guys I brought this thread outof the archives is there anyway i can get a little help with this preceder please?I think something needs to be added to the original threads about adjusting valves if ITs not already there.Before removing the side cover you need to drain your oil.Im kinda pissed I found out the hardway :banghead:

You didnt need to drain the oil if you would have used the center stand:doh:. Done that way only a little dribble of oil comes out that is easily taken care of by a rag. I used feeler gauges from an auto parts store that I bent myself, worked a treat. As for keeping it at Tdc I used PC safety/lock wire (a wire hanger is probably a good substitute) that I tied to my footage and wrench. As for the cover its just the cover that says Yamaha on it by the alternator. It's held in by a 2-3 screws and like I said keep it on the center stand so oil doesn't pour out.:thumbsup:

This cover:wink2: Have you read the manual yet:)

Attachments

• DSC01950.jpg
    DSC01950.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 858
I took a look at the manual it makes my computer freekout hard to describe but it doesnt likle pdf files.
If Im reading the manual correctly from front to back you have exhaust and intake one side and just the oppsite on the other?Sorry Im having a comprehension problem on this and its very confusing.:shrug:One other thing is the maunal shows a dohc eengine not sohc:shrug:BTW I have all the tools I just need some direction on how start and finish this.I have no clue where the intake and exhaust valves are and in what order should I adjust them in.Is there a video online somewhere you guys can point out for me.Thanks Aaron

Last edited:
Im posting a crappy pic if some can label which valves are what on my pic it would help me immensely .Then show me which valve adjustment starting point that would help.Thse diagrams on here I cant make heads or tails out of themThanks

Last edited:
The intake valves would be on the side where the carbs are and the exhaust valves would be on the side where the exhaust is, gas combustion engine 101:doh:

Hopefully the pic is showing up Damit it not here Geese Im not trying to frustrate anyone Im already frazzled as it is.My dam comprehension isnt very good ever since I had these mini strokes.so give me a break please.

So you couldnt have said the intakes are at the back of the engine and the exhaust are in the front?:wtf:Where does one find the manual for how to adjust valves on the sohc engine,cause all Im finding in the dohc:shrug:Now if I start with right side if your looking at the front of the bike which valve do adjust 1st.Thanks for your help?

Back