Choke Rod Not Moving on 79 XS400-2F

K Braun

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum and new to the XS400 and I have hit a little snag in my carb rebuild/overhaul. its seems as thought he choke rod doesn't want to move more than like an 1/8th of an inch. Is there a process to pulling the entire mechanism and cleaning? I have watch many carb rebuild videos and have scoured the forum but I haven't seen much addressing this. Just to repeat, this is a 79 XS400-2F with the rod style choke with the small black knob at one end.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi all,

New to this forum and new to the XS400 and I have hit a little snag in my carb rebuild/overhaul. its seems as thought he choke rod doesn't want to move more than like an 1/8th of an inch. Is there a process to pulling the entire mechanism and cleaning? I have watch many carb rebuild videos and have scoured the forum but I haven't seen much addressing this. Just to repeat, this is a 79 XS400-2F with the rod style choke with the small black knob at one end.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

There is a couple small ball bearings and springs in there so if you decide to pull it apart be careful........things will go flying.......I know from experience :D but to be honest it could just be the mechanism itself. The rod is a pretty simple design. As for the chokes themselves that may be the issue......what condition are the carbs? Have any pics of them you can post ?

I think they are in pretty decent condition, and I’ve ultrasonic cleaner then a couple times but if the choke componenents inside the body then maybe that’s the case. Took some pics but not sure if they do much for ya!
95F62664-C4AB-49CE-998D-3E6C62A8137F.jpeg 5A285456-801A-427B-87CE-1C5CD920E22E.jpeg

Carbs look good so maybe something inside? looks like you will need to pull the chokes off and investigate.

Determine whether it's the rod or the actual choke plungers.
Like spectra says, those little ball bearings and springs will fly out and never be found again. They are behind the holes circled.

Maybe some seafoam deep creep on the stuck part.

Thanks for the input guys! Guess I should pull the plungers, does anyone know if there is a guide to do that? I don’t really see that covered anywhere...

Well I figure out how to pull them, the plungers were definitely stuck really badly...cleaning and reassembling tonight. might give them a light sand down to smooth out any scratches/burrs and oil them up...hopefully the move smoothly after that!

So were you able to get the choke disassembled and rebuilt and assembled? I beleive i have a problem with mine and wondering if you have any tips and if you were able to get any choke specific replacement parts

Back