chopper wiriing, need help?!

rustychoppers

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, i just signed up and ive been building a chopper from my 1981 xs400 special 2 and i need to wire the whole thing but simplified. so only the parts that make it run, kick start and push button. is there a wiring diagram that has everything color coded and labeled? ive try using others but they all say different things. please help, thanks everyone.

XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpg

This one's done the rounds here a couple of times, it's a nice simple setup.

this is a generic wiring diagram. it covers everything you need for your bike to run.
on a bike with a starter your ignition is a little different more wire for the starter function.
if you want to keep it simple run a push button wired to solenoid, tap into the wiring around the ignition on the diagram above.

Yeah, the way the starter relay and motor is wired into the wiring loom is really simple. Look at the stock wiring diagram and modify this one to suit. How familiar are you with reading wiring diagrams generally? I know I've had things before where the answer was "look at the wiring diagram it's obvious lol" and I realize that's not always helpful if you're just figuring things out.

i have a question, how does the regulator/rectifier get wired? does anyone have a picture of them wired? cause im not sure about the white wires if they need to be in order and some colors dont match so a picture would be awesome! thanks everyone

All 3 white wires can be interchanged with one another. There isn't a wrong way to hook them up, just don't mixed up the positive and negative red/green and the black wires with the white wires.

Back