Clutch cover removal (Right side cover)

Kbarkilr

XS400 Member
Reaction score
First . . . hello everyone! Nice to see this site up and running for the XS400. I have a '78 that I just picked up for $350. 13,XXX miles, runs great but won't shift up out of 2nd . . . it will shift down and hit neutral with no problems. I can shift through all the gears with the rear tire off the ground and moving the tire back and forth. My main question is "Does anyone have any ideas?" Broad question, I know!

I was told if the shift fork was bent I wouldn't be able to shift through all the gears like I can and it would probably grind a lot . . . it doesn't grind at all, just won't hit 3rd - 6th. Also, I took out all the bolts that hold on the right side cover (where the clutch basket is, but that sucker seems to be stuck. I'm guessing its stuck because of the kickstart splined rod and the rubber housing that is attached. . . can't see any other reason. Any tricks to getting this cover off? Was think I would take the basket out and clean her up and try that first (gotta take the cover off anyways for paint).

I look forward to being on here quite a bit and learning the tricks of the trade. My plan is to bob this one out for the 'ol lady to ride and to give me something to do for the winter!! I'm a Harley guy by default (just because I've been around them for so long), but I've gotten pretty intrigued by this whole xs bobber cult thing going on. Pretty pumped about doing this!!

Anyways, any and all advice is welcome . . . feel free to call me a dumbass too if I ask stupid questions! I got thick skin! Thanks....:D

Welcome! Not sure what to tell you about your shifting problem.. but as far as getting the side cover off, as long as all of the bolts are out, it could be just that the gasket is stuck and holding it on. Did you try tapping the cover with a plastic or rubber mallet to break the seal? There are two dowel pins that can stick too.

Hey Travis . . . thanks for the reply! Yep, I tried the rubber mallet route and it helped free up the right hand side of the cover some. seems to be stuck on the left hand side of the cover where the kickstart shaft is. Which side are those dowel pins located? One on each side, or....?? Thanks again!

Yep one on each side.. In this picture I stole off ebay :D, you can see the larger holes on the far left and right sides that the dowel pins go into. I'm not sure if the kickstart assembly can come out with the case as is does on the XS650, but have you tried temporarily putting the kicker back on the shaft and moving it a little while you pull out? I'm kind of flying blind here but just trying to offer suggestions.

Attachments

• xs400enginecase.jpg
    xs400enginecase.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 640
Got it . . . thanks! I will try putting the kicker back on and move it around a little to see if that works when I get home. Thanks for the advice!

Yep one on each side.. In this picture I stole off ebay :D, you can see the larger holes on the far left and right sides that the dowel pins go into. I'm not sure if the kickstart assembly can come out with the case as is does on the XS650, but have you tried temporarily putting the kicker back on the shaft and moving it a little while you pull out? I'm kind of flying blind here but just trying to offer suggestions.

the kicker shaft normally stays behind the cover as the spring keeps it located!

just tap around with the rubber mallet and ease it off!

make sure you have taken ALL the screws out (done THAT a few times :doh:)

Hey guys . . . just got around to messing with that cover again. Travis, you were spot-on man . . . the pin on the dipstick side of the cover was a tad rusty and what was holding the cover on. A little localized rubber mallet treatment and the use of a small pry bar (tiny screwdriver) got her off. I just wanted to ask before I ended up cracking the cover or something!! Everything inside is nice and oily and rust-free (phew). Now onto taking apart the basket!! I'm having a blast:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice guys!!

Back