1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Clutch help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Huddlebob, Mar 25, 2020.

1. 99098B55-FF64-43FF-BC79-EB45410082DC.jpeg DE94FF55-7B4C-4827-ADEB-B7247AF6DA43.jpeg Rebuilding an old ‘82 Special. I ran the clutch cable down and into the case, but when I pull on the lever, it doesn’t retract at all. What’s going on here? How do I get proper clutch engagement and springiness?

2. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

3. Even
    Even when i hold the cable housing in place with my hand, the lever still doesn't retract? The spring is still fairly tight, and I've tried attaching the lfting mechanism with the spring resting tightly coiled and stretched out. Either, way, when I pull the clutch lever, the mechanism lifts slight, but the lever does not retract. Old spring maybe? Not lubricated? Or will the inclusion of the cable holder fix this you think? Any idea is welcome

4. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

You need the cable holder. Also looks like you stretched out the spring on the actuator arm.
    DSC03799.JPG DSC03800.JPG

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

Having an old clutch cable will make it noticeably harder to pull the clutch lever. Theres some adjustments to be made on the clutch before you get it functioning properly.

Once its all hooked up , youll have about a half inch of lever action that will operate the clutch and enable you to shift gears.