Clutch material has left the chat

tstidham

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Did some spring prep this year on the 78 with some new tires and tubes, a new chain and a new clutch (finally). And yes, I think the original clutch gave all it had to give! The steels were flat but showed some pitting so I used a complete kit with frictions and steels. The springs seemed perfect. Surprisingly easy job to do.

I picked up a good used Avon front tire, a new Shinko back tire and new tubes. I used the Ride-On balancer fluid after mounting and the bike rides super smooth! Coupled with the new chain and it rides like a brand-new bike! My old chain, which I think was original, was majorly stretched. The old adjustment was between the 4 and 5 tick marks on the rear swing arm, the new chain hit's proper adjustment at 2 ticks.:thumbsup:

Now to get it through inspection (I've been riding dirty for the past year)
20230316_154611.jpg
20230311_151516.jpg
20230311_162810.jpg
.:(

Good score on the Avon tire! I'd also say that someone got their moneys worth out of that clutch - I am surprised you were able to ride with it.

Good score on the Avon tire! I'd also say that someone got their moneys worth out of that clutch - I am surprised you were able to ride with it.
The Avon was a good score, $25 and it looks barely broken in. For the clutch, I pretty much had to adjust the slack every time I rode! o_O Driving easy, you wouldn't have known, but try to give 1/2 beans or more and she'd start to slip. The bike only has 14k miles on it so it is likely the original.

Back