Coil resistance when hot?

Supercoyote

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My EMGO universal coils spec correctly, but over ~6000 rpm my XS starts missing after it gets hot. If I get to the coils quickly right after running, i'm getting around 50 ohms across the primary circuit, then they cool down to the in-spec values (though they differ slightly, 3.5 and 4 ohms when cool).

How likely is it that my coils are in spec but breaking up when they get hot? I used to have points before I switched to a PAMCO setup so it's very possible they key might have been on and toasted a coil, but before I drop another $100 on new coils i'd like to know how likely it is that they're pooched even if they spec right when cool.

$100 on new coils!?! You only need two lol. Unless you get the super duper one. Im interested in hearing what others have to say because i started having the same problem, i think its fuel related though as i havent checked my coils yet.

I to have a Pamco on my project and just got it running. Test ride this weekend so will see what happens. Coils were in spec also.

If you find anything out post it up. I will if I have any issues.

Back