Combo Regulator Rectifier - 79 XS400F

I used the R292 in my 78, found out it in fact does control the + side rather than the - side. so my green wire is the controlled power from my reg, and the other wire is grounded.
With it backwards, despite following the picture on here somewhere, battery voltage kept dropping as expected. I jumpered the green wire to straight power while the bike was running and got it up well over 15V with straight battery power (just a few seconds, I had a helping hand).

Reversed the wires (So wired it up correctly this time), and now I only get 12.5V out of the generator with the reg hooked up....little frustrating!

So in light of this, I either got the wrong module (I know there are 2, one for early models and later), or a defective one. Either case, I can't return it or exchange it since I cut the connector off and i bought it over a month ago, an if I have to buy one, I'd rather spend the money on a combo unit.

How does the ESR350 work for those who used it? and does it control power or ground portion of the coil circuit?

EDIT: This thought just popped into my head: It may not be charging higher than 12.5V because the power to the coil is regulated based on electrical needs, and I literally only had the ignition coils running (no lights at the time whatsoever, so a low demand of power) and to top it off, I was using an AGM battery I had just got done charging up to full. That could be why I'm thinking there's a problem when there really isn't one.

I just installed all the lights and the rest of the wiring today, so the next time I get up to the shop, I will get all the lights on and actually put a load on the system to make sure it reflects my theory.

Still interested to hear how the ESR350 works for yall, I want to switch to the combo over winter and clean up my electronic tray a bit. I'm also dropping to a 1.3ah AGM battery this winter so to make more room and keep the wires clean with organising and wrapping my custom made harness.

Last edited:
Back