Compatibility? 1982 XS400 heritage special and a 1980 XS400SG

Dern

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello again!

I've got a 1982 xs400 heritage special project bike I've been doing a top end refresh on (my first!). It's coming right a long, but I've gotten very impatient about not being able to ride.

One night while obsessively looking at motorcycles online, I spotted this 1980 XS400SG which was for sale. Runs (supposedly) and the price is right. My question is - are the two bikes compatible - in other words - can I justify buying another motorcycle by telling myself (and the SO ;)) that I need to get it because that way I'll have a main ride and a parts bike? Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Yes most parts will swap. The motor mounts are different on the front and in the lower back but that's about it. Of course the 82sj has spoke drum wheels and the 80sg has mag wheels and front disc brake. But that is obvious.

Yes most parts will swap. The motor mounts are different on the front and in the lower back but that's about it. Of course the 82sj has spoke drum wheels and the 80sg has mag wheels and front disc brake. But that is obvious.
That's good news, thanks for the reply. How about engine parts? Are the engines much different?

That's good news, thanks for the reply. How about engine parts? Are the engines much different?

Motors are all pretty much the same only thing is carbs are different on some. I have 4 motors and all are the same pretty much except the mounting points. Also earlier ones were points and later ones electronic ignition. But both the ones you asked about are electronic.

Back