Compression loss

sdhadley94

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Today I replaced my clutch friction plates, springs, and steel plates in my 81 xs400 sohc. But somewhere along the lines I lost compression.. like I can't even find the compression stroke using the kick start. All I did was drain the oil, sump and take off the clutch cover to access the clutch. How would I have lost compression? ?

Is it a loss of compression or an issue of the kick/clutch engaging?

Is the clutch engaging properly?
Have you readjusted your clutch cable at the motor and handlebar?
What type of oil did you refill with?

The clutch felt nice and firm so I didn't do any adjustments. and I reused my oil since I had just changed it a few weeks ago. That was castrol motorcycle oil. There is some resistance in the kickstart but not enough. I can move it by hand without a problem.

Which way are the arrows on the clutch pack housing supposed to be pointed? I didn't notice them till I had taken it all apart. Maybe I assembled it wrong.

Arrows just need to be pointing in the same direction. Re-adjust the cable. Turn the top one all the way in then adjust the bottom part that goes into the cover as the manual says by removing the small round rubber plug. Loosen the lock nut and turn the center pin till there is no pressure on it. Next turn it back it till there is a bit pressure. Then back it off 1/4 turn. Lock the nut back on the bolt. I use a deep well socket with a screw driver in it to keep the pin from moving. Then take the slack out with the top adjust leaving 2-3mm of play at the handle.
DSC03230.JPG

Last edited:
That gave me the compression I thought I lost and gave me my kickstart back but not I have an excessive amounts of slop in the cable that I can't get rid of even after tightening the adjustment screw on the bars

Either your lower adjustment is off or you maybe missing one of the ball bearings that goes to the clutch. There are two, one in the adjustment mech and the other at the end of the rod. If all that is good your cable may be stretched.
DSC03231.JPG DSC03232.JPG DSC03233.JPG

Turns out my cable disconnected from the the linkage on the side of the motor when I broke the lock nut free. Got that connected and got the slack out and got my kickstart back. So there wasn't any compression loss. I guess I'm just a ding dong haha

Back