Confirming clutch parts/advice

tstidham

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I just had to adjust my clutch again for the third time in about 1500 miles so I'm thinking the frictions are probably about done. I've read a few threads on here about clutches and it seems the consensus is you usually just need the friction plates, no steel plates or springs. I also read I need 7 friction plates for a 78 XS400E model. Any advice on brand or where to buy them?

I have had the clutch slip on me a few times, which prompted the adjustments and it slipped again today. I'm usually pretty docile on my rides, enjoying the ride and fuel savings, but today I gave it a good ringing to get around someone and slipped it pretty good. The bike has about 15.5k on it now, relatively low, but obviously I don't know how the original owner might have abused it. Anyone have any thoughts on if I should worry about plates as well due to the little bit of slipping I've experienced? As soon as you back off or ride easy, it hooks up perfectly. Especially right after an adjustment so my gut says I'll be ok. I also plan to change the oil and filter and check the sump screen when I do the job.

I can't tell you how they work yet, but I bought a set of friction plates from Sirius Consolidated. They are TourMax brand made in Japan. Sirius has a storefront on ebay, Amazon and has a web presence also. The thickness was to factory spec and no issues with fit.

You can measure the steels for thickness and springs as well to see if they are at their service limit. Friction plates that have sat idle with some portion submerged in oil and the rest out of oil for most of 40 years are a crap shoot in my opinion. Replacing those can't hurt.

I can't tell you how they work yet, but I bought a set of friction plates from Sirius Consolidated. They are TourMax brand made in Japan. Sirius has a storefront on ebay, Amazon and has a web presence also. The thickness was to factory spec and no issues with fit.

You can measure the steels for thickness and springs as well to see if they are at their service limit. Friction plates that have sat idle with some portion submerged in oil and the rest out of oil for most of 40 years are a crap shoot in my opinion. Replacing those can't hurt.
Probably sound advice on the steels, though by now the rust is likely rubbed off and in the filter. The plates could be pretty pitted though and likely wore the friction prematurely. I'll just do this right and add them and springs to the shopping list.

If it was me I would replace the clutch springs. They would be cheaper to do so if the old ones are week.You don't want to do the job twice.

Back