Could this be a carb issue?

Firebird007

XS400 Member
Reaction score
First I'd like to start off by saying, "Thank You" to everyone that takes the time and has the patience to lend their expertise and help to people like me, that not only wish to ride but actually know how to take care of their own bike and how such an amazing machine works.

-So the latest issue im having is that the bike's motor sounds like its running rough. (Oil change has been done, oil filter replaced & new air filter installed). When I got off the bike to open my garage door it stalled out. When I restarted it, it cranked for awhile started then backfired and shut off within 5 seconds, which sounded like it came out of the left side exhaust. I waited a bit then started it up again and it did the same. Nervous I left it alone for a week. Then when I tried it out again, the bike started up just fine, one thing I noticed was that with full choke open on star-up, it starts running at lower rpms than it used to. Forgive me for not using the proper terminology to explain my problem, but I am still experiencing the bike stalling occasionally when I come to a full stop and idle.
Also of note: As per the directions of the previous owner, he told me to open the choke and set the petcock on prime- once the bike is going turn from prime to reserve (which I thought was bizarre) but it works and slowly turn off the choke once its warmed up - not sure if that bit of info helps out any. Should I look to clean the carbs given the above stalling issue? Id appreciate any help and apologize for such a lengthy post.

Sounds like it could be dirty carbs. Sometimes after I go for a ride, my bike also wants to idle low enough to stall. The street I live in is long and straight, so I can easily do 50-60mph and then come to a complete stop at my house. Im sure the engine is very hot at this point and I think this is why it occurs.

Another cause for backfires is simply a leak in your exhaust. Also, if you get fuel starvation it can occur.

Have you checked timing? That can be a problem as well.

I would start with checking the timing first since its very easy to do. You absolutely need a timing light. After that, I would order a new petcock and external fuel filter. If you have a vacuum operated petcock, they dont always work as they should.

Cleaning carbs is probably what you need though as well as a petcock. Get a rebuild kit and make sure the settings are in spec. Theres no point in cleaning the carbs first when you more than likely have a faulty petcock that doesnt have a good filter and the tank is dirty..

Back